NCEES Records Program

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfusilloPE

Reaction score
I would like to suggest to all of you new PEs that you file for an NCEES record. It is offered at a reduced rate for new PEs and it will definitely help you out in the long run if you plan on licensure in other states.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably going to do that. You have to refile all that stuff, or do they already have what they need? I have to admit I haven't looked THAT much into it because I haven't gotten my 'paper' yet.

If you go to the ncees.org website, and click on the records program, all of your questions will be answered.

The best thing about the records program is that once you get all of your referrals, you don't have to keep going back to them each time you need reciprocity/comity/endorsements in other states.

I think it took me about two months total to get my record established.

If you go to the ncees.org website, and click on the records program, all of your questions will be answered.
The best thing about the records program is that once you get all of your referrals, you don't have to keep going back to them each time you need reciprocity/comity/endorsements in other states.

I think it took me about two months total to get my record established.
The website isn't clear what exactly you need to do in order to renew your record. In particular they dont tell you what the reference update form entails. "Reference Update form(s)*: Distribute to your reference. He/she must complete the form and send directly to NCEES." Does this mean you have to recontact ALL your reference every year? Please clarify.

No, I think contacting your references is a one time deal. But you need to keep paying NCEES in order to keep your record active.

I wanted to establish a record with them ASAP after getting my first PE, because I plan on moving within the next year or so. But now, it looks like I will have to get another state through comity first.

NCEES requires 5 PE references but I only know 4 other PEs that can verify my work experience. It really sucks since the state I just got licensed in only required 3 PEs plus 2 additional verifications and all the other states I'm looking at getting licensed in are the same way.

Oh well...I guess I'm just going to have to bug my references another couple times instead of just getting it over with once.

Record renewal is easy.

You can just fill out an online form which will ask you for any additional licenses. It will also ask you to have a reference (Only one) fill out a form saying that you're the an A.O.K. engineer.

So do they hassle your references every year for this or is it a 1 time thing and its over. If its the former, I think Ill pass. If its the latter, its worth looking into.

^^ It's somewhat the latter. You only have to have one reference (not all) fill out a form every time you renew.

So I have been looking into doing this b/c I refuse to bug my peers everytime I need commity (my office works in several states). I can't find information such as sending in transcripts and the location of the reference forms I send to my former coworkers, etc.

Can you guys help...(maybe I am blind today?)

So I have been looking into doing this b/c I refuse to bug my peers everytime I need commity (my office works in several states). I can't find information such as sending in transcripts and the location of the reference forms I send to my former coworkers, etc.
Can you guys help...(maybe I am blind today?)
As I understand it once you submit your application, they review it for completeness then assign a number to your record. NCEES will send you the forms to send to references and something for your transcripts. You can't do any of these things until your initial application is approved and a number assigned

As I understand it once you submit your application, they review it for completeness then assign a number to your record. NCEES will send you the forms to send to references and something for your transcripts. You can't do any of these things until your initial application is approved and a number assigned
Thanks! That helps out a bunch. Why don't they just tell you that on the website???

Thanks! That helps out a bunch. Why don't they just tell you that on the website???
I chose to do the online application thinking that maybe it would streamline the process however I'm about 3.5 weeks into it and still haven't recieved my forms to send to references and request transcripts.

Just know going into it that things don't move at a rapid pace.

I think it took me about 2 months cradle to grave to fill out the application, but I can tell you that it does make getting comity/reciprocity/endorsement much easier.

Once you begin the process, NCEES sends you a packet of information that you have to fill out and send n or have your references send back in. They (NCEES) also tracks your college transcripts.

I haven't had to renew yet, but it sounds fairly simple.

They do.

What happens after I submit my Record application?
Once we receive your completed application and fee, identification numbers will be assigned to those sources from whom corroborating information is required. A copy of the application will be returned to you together with forms to be sent to your designated information sources.

I see it now. I just missed yesterday in my haste of searching (that's what happens when I skim for information instead of reading every word). Thanks!
No problem. I probably should have put a smilie or something. Looking back at my response, it appears a little smart-assish.....

:)

No problem. I probably should have put a smilie or something. Looking back at my response, it appears a little smart-assish..... :)
But what they don't tell you on the website is that it is an exercise in handwriting futility. I can't believe that electronic versions of these forms can't be provided. I received my package yesterday to find blank paper copies to be filled out and sent to references and to request transcripts and pre addressed envelopes for information to be sent back to NCEES. I figured this would be the easiest part of the process considering I have already filled out the application with all of my information and seeing how long it took to get the paperwork back to me I kind of assumed they would take the information I provided and input it onto the forms and have me mail it out for verification or at least have my basic information already on there.

The instructions state that each form has to be filled out in black ink or typewritten and that scanned or reproduced copies will not be acceptable. I don't know about you, but I don't know anyone who owns a typewriter and my handwriting is horrible. I'm trying to figure out now how I'm going to fit 3 pages worth of experience information into a 7.5" x 5.5" space without spelling something wrong or smudging the ink. I'm done bitching but what is the point of the application other for them to assign numbers to the people, I could have just given them names and places of employment for that.

When I filled out my app 1.5 years ago, I was able to use downloadable PDF's for the first part.

Everything else was done by hand.

I have a question about the form. On the Certifica of Verification for PEs form there is a question D.6 that I am not sure about.

Hopefully someone here has the answer.

The line about CPC requirements for the year, since I am a recent PE and within the first year, FL waives the CPC requirements, so do I just fill in N/A on this line? The reason I am confused is that the form states fill in N/A if the state does not require credits but FL is a state which does.

I'm probably just looking too deep into it but I don't want to make an error which could cost me a week or more in correction time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I filled it in with the current year (2007 for me) and included my jurisdiction as Florida. That doesn't seem to have raised any red flags on my application.

JR

Back