Why do some states give scores and others dont?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

goingtopass

Why do some states give you your passing/failing score, while others dont give you one at all? Now that I passed, I would like to know by how much!

I agree. I would like to know too, I guess ELSES direct states don't get them? I wonder if my board gets the raw scores.

According to my letter "NCEES policy prohibits the release of individual exam scores; thus results are repoted only as pass or fail."

Oh well, I guess pass/fail is the only thing that really matters.

Does it really matter what your score was? Granted, I'm in a state that does get scores... but they're adjusted... so I still don't REALLY know exactly how many questions I got right. And really, since you don't know your score, you can say you got a 100, and no one can prove you wrong!

The rationale that I have heard for not giving scores is that the PE Exam is designed to be a test of minimal competency, not a point of competitive advantage. The sense is that communicating the score inevitably leads to comparison...both informal, and perhaps formal (i.e. in a legal case)

The rationale that I have heard for not giving scores is that the PE Exam is designed to be a test of minimal competency, not a point of competitive advantage. The sense is that communicating the score inevitably leads to comparison...both informal, and perhaps formal (i.e. in a legal case)

Good point. It would suck to go into an interview and say I got a 85% on my exam...then they come back and say "well, another candidate got a 93%." We all worked hard to pass and that really should be all that matters.

It will not be long until the question "How many times did you take it?" It will come.

if thats the case of them trying to keep us from comparing since its minimum competancy, then no state should get scores....maybe they are working towards that?

I think that is NCEES' stated stance. Of course, each individual State board has to be convinced;

if thats the case of them trying to keep us from comparing since its minimum competancy, then no state should get scores....maybe they are working towards that?
I posted this in the Texas thread, but I think there was a thread a while back where someone said that Texas, and some other states, have in their licensing laws that they have to report scores. I think we did a poll on this before.

At least the engineering profession is trying to maintain "competency". Not necessarily true in other fields....at least from my valuation of some co-workers.

I wish they would report them. That way, I can either boost my ego by scoring well, or be funny and claim to have "squeaked by".

I think that if you want to know your score, then your board should let you know. I'm lucky to live in a state (TX) that releases scores. From what I understand, NCEES mails the pass/fail, along with the score, to each state board. It's each individual state board that decides whether to release them or not. Maybe it's just a matter of asking? Has anyone, in a non-reporting score state, ever requested their score from their state board?

Back