Reciprocity in other states

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP - VTEnviro

His Memory Eternal
Reaction score
Anyone else work for a firm that works across state lines?

Our office is about 1.5 miles from the New Hampshire state line, so we do work there too.

I started downloading the paperwork from their PE board to apply by reciprocity. I figure I'll start the paperwork going then send it in once my license number, etc. from VT comes through.

Filling out the application again will suck, but I'm glad I don't have to take the test again!

Funny thing about the NH application, they have this open book quiz at the end you have to submit to make sure you've read the state PE laws. :wtf:

Not that I am aware of. Most the answers are obvious and very easy to find. They do it just to make sure you read their rules and regulations. Still, it is a pain. I think ours is 40 - 50 questions long.

Texas has an open book 'ethics exam' that you have to submit with your application that essentially proves you have read the rules and regs for the state. I have a friend who failed it and the board sent him a letter that just said to try again and resubmit because they wouldn't process his licensure until he had passed it.

I may look into Mississippi, Florida and possibly Texas reciprocity down the road as needed. We are close to Mississippi and there is a lot of Gulf Coast work there. I also heard my new firm does work in Florida and other states on occasion.

Ed

Our company has an office in Mass., but I don't see any need to look into it at this time, because I've never worked on anything there.

A NH license would definitely be good though.

I'm looking into the NCEES Records service which maintains the records and is accepted by most states for the documents needed for reciprocity.

Anyone else?

I've seen it on the NCEES site. How does it work??

You store your info in their database, then when you want to apply to another jurisdiction you just have your record sent to the new state?

I just spoke with Patty (the secretary for VT's professional board) and she will copy and send me all of the material I submitted with my application, so I can send it to NCEES records program.

For the record, as of today at 1145 hrs, Vermont has not received the results of the PE exam from ELSES/NCEES.

Patty is a legend on this board. She needs no introduction. :bow:

I may do the same thing. It's a good idea.

So you wouldn't need to get references, transcripts, etc. with the records program?

I'm surprised the state hasn't gotten our results. I was hoping for a certificate and license number in the near future.

If I pass, I am in NC, I will immediately seek a record with NCEES. My boss has one and they keep up with your continuing ed, and when you need a license in another state they just forward your information along. Its pretty cool, and well worth the initial effort if you plan to get regietered in multipule states.

Thank you, cdhanners.

That was my understanding of how it should work and am glad to hear from someone personnally that it does.

Back