Construction Studying

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starkman

Reaction score
Anybody got any good ideas on how to study for this thing? I got the NCEES sample questions, but they only give you 20 sample questions, and theres alot of material out there. I went ahead and bought the design standards and the books NCEES references in the solutions to their questions. Figure thats my best bet right now. Any other ideas or sample questions you got please share.

Anybody got any good ideas on how to study for this thing? I got the NCEES sample questions, but they only give you 20 sample questions, and theres alot of material out there. I went ahead and bought the design standards and the books NCEES references in the solutions to their questions. Figure thats my best bet right now. Any other ideas or sample questions you got please share.
What was your first thought while looking through the practice problems? I can't believe the amount they wanted for that book. Seems a little steep.

owillis

Unless you are going to take the Construction Depth, all the material for whatever AM questions you might see are already covered in current CERM's and newer study guides. Things are just scattered about.

Starkman

I looked at the NCEES specs for the construction depth module and it is easy to see why it is hard to figure out what to study. I would think the exam would have a trench shoring question. This type of question could combine geotech info, surcharge loads and timber design. With all the crane failures the last couple of years, a crane selection question would also be a good choice, but they would have to provide you with a crane load chart. As for equipment production earthwork is always a good choice, as it would combine mass haul diagrams with geotech info and cost of operation. A dewatering question would involve soils and hydraulic/piping info like head loss, pump curves etc.

I would recommend going to the CalTrans site and print the shoring manual. There is also a bridge false work manual there too if you are interested. Check out my post regarding construction references for the CalTrans web address and a great recource book for equipment production. If you can get your hands on a Caterpillar Performance Handbook, it is a great resource for determining earthwork production and cost of operating equipment, and it has worked examples.

I don't know if this is any help, it is only a guess on my part.

Old as Dirt Geo

KAPLAN new catalog states that they have new version of Civil Engineering PE Exam books which have Construction Engineering added. If u order, u can use promotion code ENGTXP at the shopping cart to get 15% off

I would also probably recommend getting a copy of the OSHA code. I believe that I read about safety items being a part of the construction exam.

I would also probably recommend getting a copy of the OSHA code. I believe that I read about safety items being a part of the construction exam.

KAPLAN new catalog states that they have new version of Civil Engineering PE Exam books which have Construction Engineering added. If u order, u can use promotion code ENGTXP at the shopping cart to get 15% off
hi cantaloup do you know how many samples does KAPLAN Civil Engineering: PE Problems & Solutions, 17th Edition have?

thanks

What is "Temporary Structures: Construction Loads"? (In the AM at the bottom)
It means addressing Temporary Structures Similar to Structures to include live loads for equipment and materials.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the NCEES questions also. If the test questions are like them, I will do allright.

I am taking the Civil-Construction PE Exam Spring 2009...

I had never heard of the Kaplan Books.. I was planning on buying the reference manual, study guide from "the other board".

http://www.ppi2pass.com/"the other board"/PPIShop

I was under the impression that it was the "standard" for PE Review..

Has anyone started looking through it and found the Kaplan to be "better".. ?

Have most ppl. already dove into the studying in preparation for next year? or are these convo's prior to this 2008 exam?

Mike

I took the Electrical exam in April, so my advice may not apply, but I found the Kaplan books to be not very good. The reference was dense and confusing. The practice problems were nearly unworkable, and the practice exam was infinitely harder than the actual NCEES exam. If you are the type of person that benefits from working harder questions in preparation for a comparitively easy exam, then you may want to pick up the practice exam, but I would steer clear of their other books.

You are correct that the CERM from "the other board" is the "standard" for PE preparation.

Thanks..

I think I will stick with the CERM... It seems like if you buy their packages.. you will get hundreds and hundreds of sample/practice problems.. that seems infinitlely sufficient to me..

i dont need to make a perfect score..

I am taking the Construction Depth April 2009, I have bought the NCEES Sample Quesions as well as the 11th Edition CERM.

However I feel there are not many construction questions to practice on or get a feel for what they want you to know.. (I sort of had in mind to use the NCEES as a "practice exam" later on down the road as opposed to using the questions to study, and I will basically be familiar with them when I sit down to do my "practice test".

Does anyone know if there is a "Six-Minute Solutions" for the Construction Depth? I have the books for Geo, Structural to help me through the AM sections, but do feel lost as far as a wide variety of questions types to study/practice.

I saw on another post ppl. recommend going through the NCEES exam ouline w/ your CERM index and marking out topics, etc. that are not clearly mentioned by the NCEES to help focus your study efforts..

Any other advice? How much do most ppl. study? I was thinking of starting to ease my way into it for the Spring 2009 soon..

Thanks..

Back