NCEES release updated calc list

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Undertaker

Dead Man Walking
Reaction score
I don't know if this was posted already.If not there we go. NCEES has the list of calculators for the April test.Looks like they include a new HP and all the Casio FX-115 models.

Calcs updated list

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad they opened up, but now I'm pissed because I had to drop 34 bucks on a couple of TI-30 XII S calculators when I must have 3 or 4 TI-30X's and TI-30Xa's running around at the house and office. Plus, I've used a TI-30X since 1984 and am very comfortable with it.

Oh well. At least I'll have plenty of backups if I have to test again.

Mother Fletcher!

So HP comes out with a Retro calculator (though I admit, it does have quite an element of geek to it) and now my investment in the 33Ss I have is worthless. It seems the price of the 33S has dropped in half! What am I ever going to do with the two 33Ss I have now?

This has to be one of the more asinine policies of NCEES. I'd rather use my 48 or 49 any day!

Mother Fletcher!
So HP comes out with a Retro calculator (though I admit, it does have quite an element of geek to it) and now my investment in the 33Ss I have is worthless. It seems the price of the 33S has dropped in half! What am I ever going to do with the two 33Ss I have now?

This has to be one of the more asinine policies of NCEES. I'd rather use my 48 or 49 any day!
Looks like the HP33S is still on the mix Sray. Besides, I don't think you will be needing your calc for the test again. :thumbs:

Oh hell yeah! Not only are my precious fx-115ES's back on the allowed list (why did they remove them for one exam cycle???), but I also am the proud new owner of an HP-35s "retro" calculator, which is not very retro except for the look and feel, which goes back to the best of HP.

:eek:ldtimer:

Why do I care? I'm a PE :D Well, I also want to get my CPESC certification, and for some reason those guys have adopted the NCEES calculator list. The thought of having to buy yet another calculator was really pissing me off for some reason.for that exam

Last edited by a moderator:
Not me, Sap. I'm a TI-30 guy from way back and I'm not going over to the HP(dark) side.

Looks like the HP33S is still on the mix Sray. Besides, I don't think you will be needing your calc for the test again. :thumbs:
BIO,

I was going to sell them... I've been wanting the 35S for a bit. Now that the price of the 33S is around $30, I figure I'd be lucky to get $15 on eBay or EB.

^^^ Touche!

Special Note: I taught my wife (a nurse) to use RPN and now she uses my HP for balancing the checkbook.

JR

I love the avatar roadwreck, YEAH!!

Okay, thread hijacking time....

Find all the exam prep information that you want at

A professional Engineer Forum's place to Be.

For all of your engineering solutional needs, please contact us at -

Small Company Attention, Large Corporation Quality, Bargain Prices

Watch the video of gang midget bondage at that link, you'll like it, we're having fun.

Oh, and one more thing, my logon name was changed by an admin, great, real professional fellas. I do appreciate you letting me back on the board though, thanks...

Last edited:
My 35s came with a DVD with a short video on the history of HP calculators. I wonder if that was just for the first batch, or if you still get that with a purchase.

BTW, the video wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it was going to be. I expected a bit more, but it was still kind of cool.

My 35s came with a DVD with a short video on the history of HP calculators. I wonder if that was just for the first batch, or if you still get that with a purchase.
BTW, the video wasn't nearly as exciting as I thought it was going to be. I expected a bit more, but it was still kind of cool.

What are some of the big differences between the HP33 and the HP35? Can you assign multi-letter variables?

To be honest with you, I don't know. I didn't have a 33s, and I got my 35s after passing the PE, so I haven't dug very deep into its capabilities yet.

What I can tell you, though, is that it still has the tiny decimal point that people complained about on the 33s - sometimes I have a hard time seeing it.

After almost 30 years of using an HP calculator with RPN, I can't use anything else. My daughter laughs at me because I can't use her TI-83 when I helping her with her physics or pre-calc homework. I'm so happy that HP has come out with a new traditional style calculator. My first intro to HP was in high school chemistry in 1978 when a friend of mine brought his father's HP35. His dad was an engineer for RCA and my friend told me a HP calculator was state of the art computing for engineers. I remember I could wait to get an HP. Today I own a 41CV, 32sii, the dreaded 33s and I'm buying a 35s. One good thing about owning a RPN calculator is nobody ever borrows it.

^ I can understand getting comfortable. I've used the same line of Casio scientific calculator since high school chem in 1995. I like it because you type in the numbers and operations as you would on paper.

Back