How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification? - Page 7 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Env_Engr

How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification?

I'd rather take business risk than be a dependent employee that usually gets downsized in their 50's.

From what I understand, most of us diminish in size in our 50s anyway, so what's the big deal? Have you found the secret? I sincerely hope you don't believe those e-mails that promise otherwise, because in my experience, those can actually hasten the down-sizing, and in worst-case-scenario, make it fall off!

You're my hero, GT_ME. I don't care what enyone else says. When I read your messages, I hold my head high, and proudly proclaim to everyone, that you're one of us. Or one of me. If you get what I am saying.

photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
I'd rather take business risk than be a dependent employee that usually gets downsized in their 50's.

OH MY GOD!!!!!!! I'm 50. Do you think I'm in danger of being downsized? (Not in the way you were, PE-ness. That stuff won't happen to me.)

Anyway, I'm not worried about being 50 and easily replaced. I plan to retire some day not too far in the future and would hate to mess up my leisure worrying that I might have left a gap that cannot be filled.

Let's face it, every one of us will some day leave our career. We will either retire, quit, get fired, get laid off, or die. And, whatever gap is left will be filled by someone else.

When I die, I hope I am remembered more for the stuff that is not related to engineering and businesss. I would hate to think that my greatest contribution in life was creating a multi-million-dollar engineering firm. The risks I prefer to take are not about the money. They are about life.

The most important thing is you love what you do, and I love being a business owner for a fully licensed Mechanical Engineering & Contracting Co.

I'm confident my current business will be worth several million in 5 to 10 years (I sold my first business for nearly a mill in 97) -- I'd rather take business risk than be a dependent employee that usually gets downsized in their 50's.

You sound like an disgruntled dependent employee Mike :Locolaugh:

Yeah. I'm disgruntled. Maybe if I start make absurd (read: made up) comments about my career and proudly beat my chest and keep telling everyone how great I am and how much better I am than they are, I won't be so disgruntled. There's hope!!

This guy is great reading. However, isn't this super-engineer with multimillion dollar salary the same guy who wondered why the conversion is 1 psi = 2.31 ft/ psi.

The most important thing is you love what you do, and I love being a business owner for a fully licensed Mechanical Engineering & Contracting Co.

I'm confident my current business will be worth several million in 5 to 10 years (I sold my first business for nearly a mill in 97) -- I'd rather take business risk than be a dependent employee that usually gets downsized in their 50's.

You sound like an disgruntled dependent employee Mike :Locolaugh:

I received a 5% raise and placed into a higher pay scale. I work for a municipality as does my wife. Together we make pretty good wages and can feel like we have made it in life. I have worked in the private sector for 11 years and now 3 in the public. I have come across a few small business owners that either went under or just sold it off because they had to work like dogs to keep it going. I'm sure there was a great feeling of acccomplishment when they were succeeding initially, but at some point just had to step back and ask themselves if it was really worth it. I personally like what I do, the office enviornment i'm in and feel challenged every day. I would never knock anyone for what direction they take in life, especially if they are enjoying it. Where would this country be with out those crazy dreamers that start thier own business (Bill Gates, Henry Ford, the Rubiks Cube guy) I know by my personallity that starting my own business would keep me up at night, and I don't feel any amount of money would allow me to enjoy that kind of life style. I think GT ME should be proud of what he has accomplished, but labling others as poor engineers is probably out of bounds. A lot of us may not have the bank account he does, but we don't feel poor. I like leaving at the same time alomst every day and picking up my daughter from school and finding out how her day went. I get to make her dinner every night, we play with our dog, help her with homework and squeeze in a little sponge bob square pants. I almost get a speeding ticket at times racing to get to her school. To me, those are the most valuable items in my life. :unitedstates:

I received a 5% raise and placed into a higher pay scale. I work for a municipality as does my wife. Together we make pretty good wages and can feel like we have made it in life. I have worked in the private sector for 11 years and now 3 in the public. I have come across a few small business owners that either went under or just sold it off because they had to work like dogs to keep it going. I'm sure there was a great feeling of acccomplishment when they were succeeding initially, but at some point just had to step back and ask themselves if it was really worth it. I personally like what I do, the office enviornment i'm in and feel challenged every day. I would never knock anyone for what direction they take in life, especially if they are enjoying it. Where would this country be with out those crazy dreamers that start thier own business (Bill Gates, Henry Ford, the Rubiks Cube guy) I know by my personallity that starting my own business would keep me up at night, and I don't feel any amount of money would allow me to enjoy that kind of life style. I think GT ME should be proud of what he has accomplished, but labling others as poor engineers is probably out of bounds. A lot of us may not have the bank account he does, but we don't feel poor. I like leaving at the same time alomst every day and picking up my daughter from school and finding out how her day went. I get to make her dinner every night, we play with our dog, help her with homework and squeeze in a little sponge bob square pants. I almost get a speeding ticket at times racing to get to her school. To me, those are the most valuable items in my life. :unitedstates:

This post?.........priceless!

^^I agree!! Plus, there's room enough and need for everyone in this world. There will always be a need for folks like CivilPEHopeful and myself, who prefer the satisfaction of public service, and the free time to raise our children to the best of our abilities.

And there will always be a need for the hard-core entrepreneur, and the overpriveleged, undersupervised, Paris Hilton-like chlidren that they bring into the world for our entertainment.

My respect to you. One of the best and most honest posts I have read in this Board.

How about a congratulatory lunch and a pay cut. I was informed by my supervisor that since I am now a 'professional' I am no longer eligible for overtime, which I had anticipated, but I didn't get a raise, so effectively I just got bumped down in pay. Hooray.

WOWWW....this is new...:) This always happen when we are professional. Smetimes people will abuse us. I've been working for 4 years now yet my salary still the same since the 1st year. :(

regards,

kelly

Simulation pret

I got a 0% annual raise and a 0% one time bonus, but significant amounts of prestige from the other Professional Engineers in my group. My company paid $0 toward my P.E. license and $0 toward my PE application.

But my company has some other awesome benefits (paid overtime) and are great to work for, so I can't complain.

Hi:

I just wanted to see what is the average pay raise that people typically get after getting their first PE license. Our company policy says that $100/month will be added to the gross salary. Please post the raise that you have received or expected to receive.

-------------------------------------------------

PE Civil - California

with Environmental section for the afternoon.

Exam date - Oct 26 & 27 - first attempt

MS - Environmental Engineering

My company used to give $500/mo increase, but now its down to $250/mo. just for passing. Its immediate. They also have very nice ee referral bonuses (I believe $1000 to refer a licensed PE).

How about a congratulatory lunch and a pay cut. I was informed by my supervisor that since I am now a 'professional' I am no longer eligible for overtime, which I had anticipated, but I didn't get a raise, so effectively I just got bumped down in pay. Hooray.

WOWWW....this is new...:) This always happen when we are professional. Smetimes people will abuse us. I've been working for 4 years now yet my salary still the same since the 1st year. :(

regards,

kelly

Simulation pret

May be time to cut and run!

I got a 0% annual raise and a 0% one time bonus, but significant amounts of prestige from the other Professional Engineers in my group. My company paid $0 toward my P.E. license and $0 toward my PE application.

But my company has some other awesome benefits (paid overtime) and are great to work for, so I can't complain.

My company pays for the first exam fee, and exam materials OR a study course. I guess they are pretty nice!!

I don't get an immediate raise, but now that I have my PE, in another 9 months I'm eligible for a promotion, which presumably includes a raise. Hopefully we'll be done with budget cuts by then and I can get a decent raise.

My company did pay for the exam and will pay for my license fees, but I bought my own study materials.

Oh, and my boss bought a cake when I got my results. That counts as a raise, right?

haha...ahh the raise issue. My old firm gave 2 raises per year guaranteed. kind of performance based...but more kiss-A$$ed based. Well, it's great to have passed the PE exam

I passed the PE in April '09. My company reimbursed me for my exam fees (for all 4 tries) and gave me a $1000/yr raise. That was in June. I just had my year end review and my boss told me that I'm underpaid, he appreciates the work that I do and he'll work to get my salary where it should be. Then he gave me a $10k/year raise. NICE!

Dang, I don't know what I'd do with $10k a year right now. I'm sure my wife would figure out a way to spend it rapidly.

Out of the blue my boss cut me a check for $500 yesterday as a reward for passing the exam. Very nice surprise. We'll see what happens to my salary in the next week or so. A $10k raise would be nice but I'm not holding my breath.

I passed the PE in April '09. My company reimbursed me for my exam fees (for all 4 tries) and gave me a $1000/yr raise. That was in June. I just had my year end review and my boss told me that I'm underpaid, he appreciates the work that I do and he'll work to get my salary where it should be. Then he gave me a $10k/year raise. NICE!

KEG, your books had good luck for me on the exam.... I hope they also have good luck in the pay department! 10k would be amazing. There'd be an SRT10 in the garage next to the Z06. ;)

KEG, your books had good luck for me on the exam.... I hope they also have good luck in the pay department! 10k would be amazing. There'd be an SRT10 in the garage next to the Z06. ;)

Glad they helped and congrats on passing.

Chucktown PE Posted Today, 11:16 AM

Dang, I don't know what I'd do with $10k a year right now. I'm sure my wife would figure out a way to spend it rapidly.

Pretty sure the wife will figure out a way to spend it but I'm going to bump up my 401k and divert some to my secret savings account before she sees it!

Do you mind to share the money with me?

............Just kidding!

Happy New Year

All expenses (books, travel, etc) covered.

$2,500 spot bonus for passing the exam (Uncle Sam took a nice chunk out of it thought)

Probably the regular 5-6% raise. Given the market conditions, I am not complaining.

CONGRATULATIONS FOR THE ONES WHO PASSES THE OCT. 2009!! I PASS THE TEST FINALLY.... AFTER 6 TIMES!! :party-smiley-048:

CONGRATS! I'm working on my fifth attempt. Will get there...someday. Glad to hear you made it!

Happy New Year!