How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification? - Page 4 - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
 photo CHPE_AnimatedWebBanner_650x1202_zps5704d467.gif
Sign in to follow this  
Env_Engr

How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification?

I cant remember if I posted my increase yet, so here it is. I received a 4k bonus (I had to sign a contract that I would return a prorated amount of money, if I am fired or quit within 4 yrs), and a 7.7% increase because of a promotion.

Guest LindaM
I never said I did not believe in the PE, just in the way that it is administered. I will be sitting for it next year, my points are more toward the antiquated rules governing it. If the test is so consuming, why the disparity between ABET and non ABET schools in allowing admittance to the exam. You either pass or you dont. That said I restate my point. By law the only industry that a PE MUST stamp and sign is building construction, therefore if the main entrance is schooling, it should be limited to an archeng degree. Like I said before, a degree in glass engineering from an ABET school is crazy but the rules allow it. It is just as crazy to allow any PE in most not all states to sign any drawing. Their own rules invalidate and weaken the value of a PE to where it is almost a joke. There isn't an electrical PE I know (after over 30 years I know a lot) that wont defer to a master electrician every time.

I'm sure you don't know what an engineer with a degree in Ceramic Engineering does! It is ignorant of you to say that a "degree in glass engineering from an ABET school is crazy" when you don't even know what you are talking about! I have a degree in Metallurgical Engineering from one of the top Engineering universities in the country and studied with many Ceramic Engineers. One very talented ceramic engineer designed tiny glass microspheres that are able to be irradiated and are now used to treat advanced Kidney and liver cancer, which previously were fatal within less than a year! Without Metallurgical and Ceramic Engineers, many advances in medicine would never have occurred! Know what you are talking about before you offer your "opinions as fact."

I worked on several projects in the automobile industry where mechanical engineers had specified the WRONG metal for an application. After all the testing required (on the road), they came to us after the application was "approved" but was failing at an unacceptable level during manufacture. When we told them that the material was incorrect for the application (it could not make the necessary 180 degree bends), they didn't want to go through the years-long reapproval process. We had to figure out how to manufacture the specified "wrong" material with tighter than industry-standard tolerances to meet the demanding application, which still resulted in 10-15% defects. In the end, there was a recall on the engine that used those parts and the material was ultimately changed. ALL due to a mechanical engineer specifying the wrong material because material selection is really way beyond what most mechanical engineers are experts at. Half the battle for ALL engineers, whether with PE or not, is knowing when they are working beyond their scope of expertise and calling in the appropriate expert when necessary.

Guest Nick

If there isn't one out there, can we start a poll on this topic?

How much of a raise did you receive? 1-2% 3-5% 6-10% >10% or in $$$

Also,

Did you recieve a one-time Bonus? No $$ <$1000 <$3000 <$5000

I assume most of us will receive word via our yearly evaluation here in a couple of weeks...

Guest Nick

I'm also w/ a private consulting firm and get a one-time $3K bonus and I hope ;) I get a pretty big raise here soon! :beerchug:

Guest Sara

I am expecting a 20% raise. Or, that is what I have been told I would get. Let's hope so!

Sara :winko:

I've been doing the private consulting thing in NYC for 10 years and the only significant salary increases I have gotten have been by threatening to leave and making my company match the offer or by actually leaving.

private consulting firms (at least in NYC) are notoriously bad for not giving their people decent raises. I've been at my current job over 4 years and I got 3.5% raise each year. doesn't really help when the cost of living is going up 5-7% each year. Once I get my 5 years and vested in the company stock ownership program, I am outta here hopefully with a PE to command even more money at my next stop :)

Guest Longhorn ChE 02

Same here... company policy is one time $500 bonus.

Plus they paid for the test, prep books and a course if you took one. Also, you get paid for the 8 hours you're taking the test. I think all that is pretty standard though... or is it not?

Im a Engineer for the Army (TRADOC not USACE) and Im expecting close to 0% increase in pay.

Hopefully they will surprise me.

Guest dmercado_PE
Same here... company policy is one time $500 bonus.

Plus they paid for the test, prep books and a course if you took one. Also, you get paid for the 8 hours you're taking the test. I think all that is pretty standard though... or is it not?

No bonus for me, but most likely I'll get a "promotion" (3-4% raise) to Senior Engineer. I paid for all PE related expenses out-of-pocket. My company reimburses me for the application fee, registration fee, and prep course only after I pass the test. Other costs like prep books, calculator, etc. are not reimbursed. I'm glad I passed. Now I can pay off my credit card.

Guest JunkerJorg

So, in the boards opinion, what should the following person make for salary?

Civil PE w/4 yrs experience who works for large, private consulting firm (>6000 employees) who also has a M.S. in Civil from ABET school

Take your best shot - winner gets a beer on the house :eyebrows:

Guest Brianne

Civil PE w/4 yrs experience who works for large, private consulting firm (>6000 employees) who also has a M.S. in Civil from ABET school

I think location would make a big difference.

It depends on you company. My previous pay is low. So my company gave me about 10% raise. (about 6k)

Then half year later I passed StrI, and in the salary review my company offered me another 10%. So that is 20% in one year. More than all of the raises I got since I started my job.

I feel it is very worthy to take the exam, considering company also reimbursed books, fees and day off for the exam.

Guest JunkerJorg
I think location would make a big difference.

OK, medium sized city in the Southeast. Like Nashville, or Raleigh, or similar

Guest dmercado_PE
OK, medium sized city in the Southeast. Like Nashville, or Raleigh, or similar

78K base salary.

Am I close?

Guest pucci

My company gives you a $1000 raise (payable hourly). Promotions are where you get most of the increase. My next promotion (whenever it comes) requires that you have passed the PE, so I am excited that I passed the October exam.

See this thread for an answer to this question. In short, the policies of different employers seem to vary a lot.

Based on this thread your salary should be in a range with an average of $65000 and standard deviation of $13000.

Guest JunkerJorg
Based on this thread your salary should be in a range with an average of $65000 and standard deviation of $13000.

you nailed it. standard deviation was right on.

Guest dmercado_PE
you nailed it. standard deviation was right on.

So 65,000 - 13,000 = 52,000 ? Wow, that was my starting salary out of college four years ago.

Guest ingluis

Well... we just received our yearly "salary adjustment" 5.48% pretty much the same as last year... so obviously passing the PE (April 2007) and finishing my masters degree (Water Resources) did not count for anything.

Surprising to me since on my review I "exceeded expectations" (corporate jargon for: gets work done and then some...) and my supervisor is always telling me he doesn't want me to leave...

Hmm... Time to start looking at other options? What do you guys think?

Well... we just received our yearly "salary adjustment" 5.48% pretty much the same as last year... so obviously passing the PE (April 2007) and finishing my masters degree (Water Resources) did not count for anything.

Surprising to me since on my review I "exceeded expectations" (corporate jargon for: gets work done and then some...) and my supervisor is always telling me he doesn't want me to leave...

Hmm... Time to start looking at other options? What do you guys think?

I went through the same crap for a while. I finally started making it clear what I thought my contributions and what my expectations were. They finally got the hint that I was going to leave and have come a long way.

you can always look. what industry are you in? location?