How Much of Pay Raise after PE Certification?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Env_Engr

Reaction score
Hi:

I just wanted to see what is the average pay raise that people typically get after getting their first PE license. Our company policy says that $100/month will be added to the gross salary. Please post the raise that you have received or expected to receive.

-------------------------------------------------

PE Civil - California

with Environmental section for the afternoon.

Exam date - Oct 26 & 27 - first attempt

MS - Environmental Engineering

HR in my company has been quoted at $1/hr or $160/month raise.

My question is what happens when I am signing plans for people who make twice as much as me.

Last edited:
This is one of those topics that gets a little play after the exam and then once the results start rolling out from ELSES.

From what I have read, I have learned:

1. The value of the P.E. license alone typically does not merit much of a raise WITHOUT an increase in responsibility or job duties (e.g. move from staff engineer to project manager); and

2. Typically if you are looking for a decent pay increase, you are better off looking outside of your company for good offers. I am not sure why, but many companies do not feel compelled to offer sizable pay raises 'internally' - they seem to save the big payouts for people they are bringing on board.

So, while you are waiting for your scores, I would spend some time to think about where you are at in terms of your current employment and then where you would like to be at once you obtain your professional license. I would definitely update your resume if you have even a 'hint' that you may leave - it is best to be prepared. Find out about when your next performance evaluation will be - use that time with your supervisor to discuss your career options with your current employment.

Just a few thoughts.

JR

I am not expecting any pay raise from the PE (if I pass it). The government works much differently in how and what ways pay can be increased. And this isnt one of the cases where the rules could be greased. Although there might be a small bonus for it as a performance award or something. But Im not holding my breath for that either. The big reasoning for my getting the PE wasnt for increased pay, but as a differentiating factor for future career progression as there are very few PEs in my line of government work in spite of a high number of job titled engineers.

I got $0.00, but I didn't expect a raise. My company requires MS and PE for the upper technical ranks (non-management), and I'm hoping to get into one of those positions someday.

I was told I would get a raise anywhere from 5-10%. This is on top of my year end bonus. And then I will get another raise once I hit my one-year mark.

I'm a contract employee.....I'm not sure yet how much raise I want! I'll post back if I passed!

Anybody have a link to a site that lists starting salaries for P.E.'s ? My wife and I are planning to move to SC next year, and I really do not know what to expect..

I have been working for the family business in Florida. Also what benefits are normal?

Last edited:
There isn't a magic bullet because different industries and even employers within the same industry classify jobs and responsibilities slightly differently. The best thing you can do is to start doing a little research about the kind of work you want to do and use a search engine to try to match of the job description and responsibilities - do NOT work from the title alone.

Having said that, there has been some additional discussion under the tech talk threads of this forum. I pasted a link to a few of them below.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=3883

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showtopic=3001

JR

I got $0. My company prefers to reward a$$ki$$ers. I'm working on plan B! It depends on the company, though. Some organizations value a PE license. Mine does not. So, I'll find one that does.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow that sucks :(

I think you almost need a different thread for each discipline, I know people that are in mech or ee that havent gotten much due to there pe.

I think most civils should exepct something, but I offer to not feel like you should immediatley get $15K the same week, but if you dont get a little something something extra at your next scheduled review than I would start planning for something else.

but I wise old man once told me "You can have a PE, and still be a dumbass."

wow that sucks :(
I think you almost need a different thread for each discipline, I know people that are in mech or ee that havent gotten much due to there pe.

I think most civils should exepct something, but I offer to not feel like you should immediatley get $15K the same week, but if you dont get a little something something extra at your next scheduled review than I would start planning for something else.

but I wise old man once told me "You can have a PE, and still be a dumbass."

Congrats to Road Guy! He just reach post number 5,000!! :multiplespotting:

This week I had an interview with a world wide company, with one of their US offices. They offer $60k and if you get the PE proffesional registration, the rise wil be $2,000/yr = $167/month = $0.97/hr = 3.33% rise. Not enough motivation to pass the PE exam. Anyway, if you (we) pass, you are the owner of your PE licence.

Although it really depends on the Company and how they are structured for responsibility of signing of plans, I have seen a $5k raise upon obtaining the PE and an additional bonus of $175/month in order to compensate for maintance of the licenses, no matter how many you have.

Other places I have seen about the same 5k raise to your base and then you are responsible for your "home" state license and the company pays for any additional states that you might have...

Again, it really depends on the size of the company, large companies have many PE's so they don't really need yours as they won't let you sign things anyways and small companies need your PE since they might only have one or two PE's in the office, so they would compensate more...

If you don't feel that you got what was coming to you you can always hit the open market, but the grass is always greener....the devil you know...and any other sayings.....

On a side note...love the new clock..!!!!...What Torture...!!!

Here's what you can expect to get from a large, private consulting firm:

Jack

and

Squat

Make yourself as valuable and indispensable as you can to your office. A good way to do that for young engineers is to become an expert on software (i.e. CAD, Revit, HEC programs, Water modeling) A lot of older PE's don't have the computer skills that a young person will, who probably learned a lot in college. I learned the HEC programs as well as CAD in school.

Another good way to prove your value is to try and be a "mini-expert" in a subject your office frequently does work in. It doesn't have to be super-technical either. Another EIT here got real good at putting together E & SC plans and now he's the go-to-guy for all the E & SC work.

As far as "PE raises" goes, though, don't expect much from a private consulting firm - you'll make the big money when you start bringing IN the big money. OR you become an indespinsable technical guru.

Mine was in the neighborhood of 20%. How can a present employer not give you a raise for passing the PE? It has to make you and the company more valuable.

This week I had an interview with a world wide company, with one of their US offices. They offer $60k and if you get the PE proffesional registration, the rise wil be $2,000/yr = $167/month = $0.97/hr = 3.33% rise. Not enough motivation to pass the PE exam. Anyway, if you (we) pass, you are the owner of your PE licence.
Do you know how much beer $2000/year buys? I mean, even after subtracting out the registration and licensing fees (less than $500), the time studying (minimum 100 hours times the minimum wage of about $5/hr is $500), you still have about $1000 (before taxes, of course!) to buy beer. Yeah, if you go the microbrew route that could be as little as 100 six-packs, but if you go the cheap Genessee route, that's almost 400 six-packs.

You're an underachiever!

Pay raise depends on your company. My current company, which is a medium size structural engineering firm, gives about 5K to 6K in addition to annual raise (depending on your performance). But I know that some structural companies immediately increase the salary up to %40 if you pass your PE (SE I not civil PE) and start signing your own stuff...It all depends on the company but I do believe that there MUST be a pay raise if you are working for an engineering consulting firm. It is not easy to pass the exam and successful candidates should be rewarded.

Here's what you can expect to get from a large, private consulting firm:
Jack

and

Squat

i don't think i can agree with that. I got about 25% from a large private consulting firm (environmental). I'll admit that at least a part of the raise was related to align my salary with my responsibilities, but the PE gave them a reason to bump me outside of the normal process and for a larger increase.

Do you know how much beer $2000/year buys?

[SIZE=10pt]I respect if you want to flood your blood in beer; this can carry short/long term health consequences. Alcohol is not a priority for me. I prefer to use my money in a more efficient way.[/SIZE]

Back