October 2007

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very few people have a REALLY good feeling about it, except a few geniuses. I thought I failed, but somehow I passed.

I actually had a really bad feeling afterwards, but after thinking about it, there is a glimmer of a hope that I passed. I think I failed, but it'll be a very close thing if I pass.

But I'm 100% OK with a very close thing.

Post a picture of DV in his "the other board" shirt.

they were trying to collect the pencils at the end of my test...I said no way, I paid $200 for this souvenir.
Wow! Only $200! In Puerto Rico we pay $355, each. Our pencils should be 14K gold, special edition.

I feel OK, I think if I fail it will be because of mistakes, which is not unlikely for me. I don't think there's anyway you can truly feel OK, considering the required % correct is unknown.

Things I didn't like:

-I often wished I had more paper to work the problems...when I work fast, I tend to space everything out...then when I have to rework something, I'm stuck with no room and a crappy eraser.

-I got really tired of sitting in that chair after about 2 hours into the afternoon portion. I could feel myself wanting to not spend as much time on the problems. It was a struggle to continue thoroughly working the problems, even when I knew how.

Thing's I did like:

-Not really much about the exam. I certainly don't want to have to go through that again.

-I saw a lot of people from school that I recognized and had basically forgotten about...of course I couldn't remember their names, but I thought it was neat to hear what everyone was doing and what their experiences have been since graduation.

-I got really tired of sitting in that chair after about 2 hours into the afternoon portion. I could feel myself wanting to not spend as much time on the problems. It was a struggle to continue thoroughly working the problems, even when I knew how.
That's a big reason why it's important to do a full length practice exam beforehand. It's hard to focus for that long.

Man, I wish I would have worn astronaut diapers. I had to go to the bathroom during the morning portion. I felt a little ridiculous turning in my test, getting a hall pass, and then going as fast as I could go. I also enjoyed the NO TALKING IN THE RESTROOM signs. It made me want to belt out a showtune.

I have no idea if I passed or if I failed but I do know this...after the EIT I was a wreck and required a lot of liquor and sleep. After the PE, I still had enough go to drive home the 2.5 hours it took.

At least the countdown clock isn't mocking me anymore!

And I agree...they could have chosen a peppier color for the pencils that 1. smudge and 2. don't erase.

:mail-296:

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of wish that the depth section was in the morning instead of the afternoon. I was pretty brain-dead by 4pm and there were a lot of afternoon problems that I feel like I would have understood better if I had been more awake.

Also, we were told (in Houston) that we couldn't have our books "standing up" in front of us because that would block the proctor's view of what we were doing. I ended up having to put my crate of binders on the floor next to me and lay down my books in several piles in front of me. I know it seems minor, but I had gotten used to having my books and binders in a certain order. A lot of the "prep" books say to bring boxes or crates to use as bookshelves... but we weren't allowed to use them.

I kind of wish that the depth section was in the morning instead of the afternoon. I was pretty brain-dead by 4pm and there were a lot of afternoon problems that I feel like I would have understood better if I had been more awake.
Also, we were told (in Houston) that we couldn't have our books "standing up" in front of us because that would block the proctor's view of what we were doing. I ended up having to put my crate of binders on the floor next to me and lay down my books in several piles in front of me. I know it seems minor, but I had gotten used to having my books and binders in a certain order. A lot of the "prep" books say to bring boxes or crates to use as bookshelves... but we weren't allowed to use them.
I had my watch set on the table in front of me with all of my books and the proctor came over and told me it would need to be either on my wrsit or on the floor. She then said it was a new rule. I honestly wonder what they tell these people, because you better believe I had a wall of books on my table. Of course, we had 3 proctors for about 20 of us and they made frequent laps around the room. Oh, and one the proctors was so kind as to leave the volume on her cell phone set to "loud." I nearly threw up on my test when that sucker went off.

Table was horribly small - two people at an 18x72 table - somehow my neighbor and I avoided each other.

Structural I - AASHTO questions on morning rattled me pretty good. By comparison, afternoon was "simple" - but we'll see. In the end I think there were probably 58 that I felt good about, but of course that won't hold up so hopefully my good guesses and blind guesses will offset. Probably 8 blind guesses max.

LONG DAY - reported at 7:10, released at 5:45 or so - 1/2 an hour for lunch. Almost 300 people in Austin so check in took a while.

Pencils were lousy and they only gave us one.

Someone in my area farted during the entire morning session - SBDs - It was horrible - overwhelming at one point.

The guy next to me would almost yell out "bless you" every time somebody in the room sneezed. Seriously. Remember, this was a very large room.

Someone in the room had a medical emergency with about an hour left. the proctors actually yelled out "call 911" - the test takers pretty much kept on going. After the tests were collected, the proctors told us that "the gentleman who had the medical emergency was OK" and the bless you guy yelled out "thank you"

oh yeah, my pencil was the standard white w/ black lettering.

Back