2007 CBC/2006 IBC

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I emailed the California board with this question but they're not getting back to me. As I am not in California and the 2007 is not easy to come by, I was hoping I could use the IBC instead, as you can now. I would like this verified before I chuck out another $100 on yet another book that I will never use again after this stupid test. :poop:

Thanks! :D

the 2007 CBC is not being used as the code for the October 2007 test. So if you're taking it in October (next month) you do NOT need to purchase the 2007 CBC.

I emailed the California board with this question but they're not getting back to me. As I am not in California and the 2007 is not easy to come by, I was hoping I could use the IBC instead, as you can now. I would like this verified before I chuck out another $100 on yet another book that I will never use again after this stupid test. :poop:
Thanks! :D
- IBC2006 is the same as UBC2007

- If you taking the exam in October all you need is UBC 97, they are changing the code to IBC 2006 for the April 2008

Check this out:

ADDED 8/30/07 - 2001 CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE TO BE USED ON OCTOBER 2007 SPECIAL CIVIL SEISMIC PRINCIPLES, CALIFORNIA STRUCTURAL ENGINEER SEISMIC, AND GEOTECHNCIAL ENGINEER EXAMINATIONS

The October 2007 Special Civil Seismic Principles Examination, California Structural Engineer Seismic Examination, and Geotechnical Engineer Examination will use the 2001 California Building Code (CBC), which is based on the 1997 Uniform Building Code (UBC). Beginning with the 2008 examinations, the 2007 CBC, which is based on the 2006 International Building Code (IBC), will be used.

Here is the link:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/pels/

Thanks! I'm taking it in April. I just wasn't sure if "based on" meant "same as". FYI, you can order a download from the ICC for about $72 that you can print sections of instead of paying for the paper and shipping. It's weird, it's a subscription, so it's good for 6 months, but you only need to print it once, right?

I just got this reply from the board:

"At this time we are unable to answer your question regarding the codes. I

have spoken with a few civil engineers who are exploring the codes and they

are not yet able to determine what reference books will be required.

The development of the April 2008 examination has just begun, and the

reference list will be available in November. Please check the Board

website for updates to the reference list at that time"

I don't get it. They don't know if the codes are the same? :huh:

I just got this reply from the board:
"At this time we are unable to answer your question regarding the codes. I

have spoken with a few civil engineers who are exploring the codes and they

are not yet able to determine what reference books will be required.

The development of the April 2008 examination has just begun, and the

reference list will be available in November. Please check the Board

website for updates to the reference list at that time"

I don't get it. They don't know if the codes are the same? :huh:
The 2007 CBC will be adopted Jan 1 of 2008. I'm not even sure if you can get your hands on a real copy as of yet.

I wouldn't just buy the 2006 IBC. In the 2001 CBC there were seperate sections for DSA/OSHPD. I bet they'll do the same thing for the 2007 CBC.

I just thought I would share this email that I received from the California Building Comission.

My question:

I noticed the CBC 2007 say's that it is based on the IBC 2006. Are they the same? At least from a structural perspective, are they the same?

Their response:

"Thank you for inquiring. Please accept my apology for not responding sooner. It is CBSC’s policy to respond promptly to inquiries, and yours was inadvertently overlooked.

The 2007 CBC and 2006 IBC are virtually the same for structural provisions for most building types in California. However, for certain state-regulated occupancies, like public schools and medical facilities, the state writes its own provisions. In addition, local jurisdictions may amend adopted codes for reasons of climate, topography, and geology. For example, cities and counties in the mountains may adopt stricter snow load provisions than what is in the 2006 IBC.

California code users should familiarize themselves with the state agency authorities spelled out in Chapter 1 to learn if they are dealing with a state-regulated building type and to search local municipal codes and ordinances for local modifications."

Jane Taylor, Senior Architect

California Building Standards Commission (CBSC)

2525 Natomas Park Dr., Ste. 130

Sacramento, CA 95833

(916) 263-0916 FAX 263-0959

[email protected]

I just thought I would share this email that I received from the California Building Comission.
My question:

I noticed the CBC 2007 say's that it is based on the IBC 2006. Are they the same? At least from a structural perspective, are they the same?

Their response:

"Thank you for inquiring. Please accept my apology for not responding sooner. It is CBSC’s policy to respond promptly to inquiries, and yours was inadvertently overlooked.

The 2007 CBC and 2006 IBC are virtually the same for structural provisions for most building types in California. However, for certain state-regulated occupancies, like public schools and medical facilities, the state writes its own provisions. In addition, local jurisdictions may amend adopted codes for reasons of climate, topography, and geology. For example, cities and counties in the mountains may adopt stricter snow load provisions than what is in the 2006 IBC.

California code users should familiarize themselves with the state agency authorities spelled out in Chapter 1 to learn if they are dealing with a state-regulated building type and to search local municipal codes and ordinances for local modifications."

Jane Taylor, Senior Architect

California Building Standards Commission (CBSC)

2525 Natomas Park Dr., Ste. 130

Sacramento, CA 95833

(916) 263-0916 FAX 263-0959

[email protected]
Good Job, ARJ.

Historically, the California Building Code (CBC) was based on the 1997 Uniform Building Code (UBC). However, the CBC also included California-specific amendments for certain types of structures, like public schools and hospitals. These amendments were not in the UBC.

The California Special Seismic Exam was theoretically based on the CBC, but in practice there was little or no coverage of the California-specific amendments. Therefore you could pass the exam using the UBC, instead of the CBC. That's what I did.

As of 2008, the Special Seismic Exam will be based on the 2007 CBC, which in turn is based on the 2006 IBC. The 2007 CBC, like previous CBCs, has additional California-specific amendments for schools and hospitals. In practice, I expect that the exam will not address the California-specific amendments, since it has not addressed these amendments in the past. If so, then you should be able to pass the exam using the 2006 IBC, instead of the 2007 CBC.

The best-known review courses for the Seismic Exam are those offered by Steven Hiner. I haven't taken his review course, but I've used his workbook, and highly recommend it. Hiner says:

October 2007 exam...It is the instructors opinion that either the 1997 UBC or the 2001 CBC are adequate for the course and the Special Seismic Principles examination. Since the 1997 UBC is less costly and easier to use, it's strongly recommended that you purchase the 1997 UBC - Volume 2 if you have not already purchased the 2001 CBC - Volume 2.
April 2008 exam...It is the instructors opinion that either the 2006 IBC or the 2007 CBC are adequate for the course and the Special Seismic Principles examination. Since the 2006 IBC is less costly, it is recommended that you purchase the 2006 IBC if you have not already purchased the 2007 CBC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back