calculator?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
did anyone use a different calculator for the survey/seismic tests? any opinions on whether there is an advantage to using a graphing calculator or is just the plain old hp33s or whatever sufficient for these exams, i.e. no disadvantage?

The cogo comands on the hp might be nice for the surveying. if you have one and are familar, take it. Other than that, don't waste your money; there is no substitute for knowing/understanding the material. You could pass both tests with a $4 walmart calculator if you had too.

Hope that helps.

The cogo comands on the hp might be nice for the surveying. if you have one and are familar, take it. Other than that, don't waste your money; there is no substitute for knowing/understanding the material. You could pass both tests with a $4 walmart calculator if you had too.
Hope that helps.

Well thanks for that vote of confidence! I'm switching from a TI to an HP so I was just wondering if I should get a better one than the 33. Before that I had a TI-85 so I still feel like I "need" the graphing part even though I'll never use it. I think I'll stick with it and just get a backup from what you said. Thanks!

Well thanks for that vote of confidence! I'm switching from a TI to an HP so I was just wondering if I should get a better one than the 33. Before that I had a TI-85 so I still feel like I "need" the graphing part even though I'll never use it. I think I'll stick with it and just get a backup from what you said. Thanks!
I am in a similar lingo Squishles, I have a TI 83 which is far better and leaves HP33S (I am in a love hate relationship with this one) in dust as far as programing and convience of usage goes. but will need to spend that extra time to program (write/test etc) these beasts.

If anyone has some programs for Surverying and stuff for TI - 83 and 85 please share.

Plan B,

no programs for TI's then

stick with the HP as there are tested programs avaialble and like DW said spend that time "knowing/understanding the material".

TI-83 isn't on the list of approved calculators. I don't know how draconian they are about it, but I've ditched my TI-11 for a TI-30X II, just in case. I hate it, too, because I've used 11s since 1983.

TI-83 isn't on the list of approved calculators. I don't know how draconian they are about it, but I've ditched my TI-11 for a TI-30X II, just in case. I hate it, too, because I've used 11s since 1983.

You should be good with the TI-83 for the surveying/seismic. That is the only area California is more relaxed in, the calculators. The only thing you cant have it the QWERTY on the calculator (unless they change it for the next test). Some of the "seniors" that proctor the test might bust your chops about it, but just politely remind them that the rules on acceptable calculators are different for the state exams.

Back