Significance of T = 0.7 Sec

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suns Den

Reaction score
This has been the criteria (T < > etc.) for some seismic design. Can someone shed more light on this. I just started so, beg your pardon for my novice question.

SD

The value for T depends on several factors; I can't quite recall but I think it is dependent on the structural characteristics of the building as well as the building's proximity to a major fault (please don't take my word for it!! Please check the books.). Anyway, there are a couple of equations for T depending on the situation. Be very aware of the building's characteristics and surroundings so you can apply the correct equation. I will guarantee that you will encounter problems in the study literature that will ask you which T value to use. I know this is not that helpful, but there are older, smarter, and published engineers (Hiner and Majid Baradar) that can answer better than me!

Best of luck,

Mr. Smee

SD
The value for T depends on several factors; I can't quite recall but I think it is dependent on the structural characteristics of the building as well as the building's proximity to a major fault (please don't take my word for it!! Please check the books.). Anyway, there are a couple of equations for T depending on the situation. Be very aware of the building's characteristics and surroundings so you can apply the correct equation. I will guarantee that you will encounter problems in the study literature that will ask you which T value to use. I know this is not that helpful, but there are older, smarter, and published engineers (Hiner and Majid Baradar) that can answer better than me!

Best of luck,

Mr. Smee
Thanks! Mr. Smee

Back