Cram for Exam Vol 4 - Question 74 - Using synchronous reactance for sustained short circuit?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Quick question regarding the different reactances used for finding the short-circuit current from a generator.

Cram for Exam Vol 4 Question 74 uses the synchronous reactance to find the sustained short circuit value. When it says sustained, does that mean steady state?

I do know that normally the subtransient reactance is used to find the short circuit value at the exact moment of fault, and the transient reactance is for just a few cycles afterwards. But in this question, does sustained short current mean steady-state short current?

Thanks!

Hi guys,

Quick question regarding the different reactances used for finding the short-circuit current from a generator.

Cram for Exam Vol 4 Question 74 uses the synchronous reactance to find the sustained short circuit value. When it says sustained, does that mean steady state?

I do know that normally the subtransient reactance is used to find the short circuit value at the exact moment of fault, and the transient reactance is for just a few cycles afterwards. But in this question, does sustained short current mean steady-state short current?

Thanks!
Yes. I stated that in the answer key. Others could way in on this though if it is not clear.

Back