Garmin Hack

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure they have paid it, because the locals were reporting connectivity in Strava, etc. slowly returning about two days ago.

So do I have to do that bike ride again if they dont pay the ransom and I cant record my ride?  Its like it didnt count if I cant see it in the app!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertwood/2020/07/27/garmin-hacks-10m-ransom-payment-10m-tax-deduction/#54bd198c12c5

Also I didn't know you could deduce a ransom payment?

I stumbled across the article the other day too.  Didn't know you could deduct extortion payments and blackmail too!  But the IRS wants receipts so you need your friendly local Mob merchant to mail you an invoice.

yes I am alive!

Our work gives us points and money for working out, which is garmin verified, it pays for about 2 months of my gym membership if I do all the BS

For example you get a  bonus for tracking your sleep!~ which is a little creepy to send that data to someone..

**** now it says down for maintenance again!

It seems to me though being allowed to write off a ransom payment would encourage more people to engage in ransomware hack activities?

I was able to get two activities yesterday and I'm getting more today. 

I was kind of thinking of breaking up with Strava because now that you have to pay for segments there's no point. This highlighted that I really should break up with Strava. I don't need anyone liking my workouts. 

mine says it downloaded and is ready to view but then its not there - "maintenance" 

I deleted my Strava cause the wife would go in and see if I rode the bike on a road or not and then yell at me.  I am sure there was a setting you could change

but you could totally figure out where people live based on where a lot of there runs and rides started and ended (thought that was a little creepy too)

There used to be a setting (maybe it still exists?) in Strava to hide the first and last 0.5 or 0.75 miles of any run or bike ride you did... I think you could customize the distance. I'd be surprised if they took that away, but honestly, I haven't checked in a while.

My activities are kind of logged but it's still kinda messed up.

For example, it says that I didn't do anything yesterday but it's correctly giving me what my averages over the last 7 days.

I would give it a few more days for this thing gets cleared up. 

Back