Which Coffee is King in Each State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting fact checks. There are soooo many coffee shops.

• There are a total of 15,341 Starbucks locations in the United States as of June 30, 2020. The state with the most number of Starbucks locations in the US is California with 3,054 locations, which is 19% of all Starbucks locations in America.
  • There are over 8,500 Dunkin' restaurants in 41 states across the U.S.A.
  • Caribou Coffee was founded in Edina, Minnesota, in 1992. As of May 2015, the company operates 603 locations worldwide

I question the accuracy.  The number of Starbucks in NC was hovering around 400.  The number of DD was hovering around 300, but that was before they closed something like 500 stores nationwide.  

FWIW, there are just over 20 DD in the Charlotte area, and over 80 Starbucks.  This is the norm in the larger cities, so the rural areas must look drastically different.

Are you questioning the accuracy of reditor danywatermelon?

I do know when we went to Florida last time you rarely saw a starbucks.

And I know  DD had to do away with their Styrofoam cups but holy sweet jesus does there new paper cup just suck eggs...

I feel like I have to differ on the FL one. Where I lived, only in the past 5 years have they started to build DD. And when I moved last year there were only 3 in town. However, there were at least 15 SBX. There was actually a place in town where to major roads intersected and there were 4 SBX at the intersection. Maybe DD is more southern FL.

There is a difference between how many stores there are, and what people actually like.

Me, I rarely drink starbucks. I prefer local shops...outside of that, I'm into Tully's and Peet's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, a company like sbx isn't going to plant a new store if there isn't a market to support it.

The sbxs where also more packed than the DD, probably because sbx has that kind of atmosphere where you can sit and do stuff for hours whereas DD is like a donut shop. Hipsters don't sit and hang at donut shops. And I never once met a person that was like "hey let's go to DD." It was ALWAYS "hey let's go to sbx." I know my city.

But, both sbx and DD coffee sucks. I don't know how people drink it. I guess when you drown it out with milk and syrup it tastes better.

We got some Dutch Brothers Coffee stores here in Denver and and I wasnt super impressed with them.

Ive been trying to go out of my way to get Coffee from Caribou where I can - they just dont have as many stores, but I think they have better coffee and better service, (at least in this area)

DD has gone downhill, they never seem very clean, or staffed properly  (even the new ones),  and Starbucks is always jumping on to the whatever the latest social justice issue is -  dammit I just want some coffee not your moca moca BS...

You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a 7-11 in Denver, but even the new ones are just nasty - they dont ever seem to make an attempt to clean them?

You cant swing a dead cat without hitting a 7-11 in Denver, but even the new ones are just nasty - they dont ever seem to make an attempt to clean them?
Nope, it's the same in New Jersey at 7-11 here. Was just there a few hours ago and I might not go back for a while. Quick Check is a slight step above 7-11.

I like going to Wawa, it's much cleaner and everything is good there from coffee to sandwiches.

I  havent spent much time in the NE so I am unfamiliar with wawa -

I am a coffee junkee, we should start a local coffee shop places you must visit when travelling!

If any of you ever find yourself in Boulder, CO take a 30 min ride to Nederalnd, some of the best coffee I have ever had (plus they make home made donuts)

http://www.thetraincarscoffee.com/

Rapid CIty, SD

https://www.alternativefuelcoffeehouse.com/

There is literally no coffee between Denver and Rapid City, Thanks Wyoming! ;)

Wawa is a chain of 850+ convenience stores located in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Florida, and Washington, D.C. I orginially looked at the first post to see if that should have been on that list because PA, NJ, and FL each have an average of 200 Wawa stores in the state. But Dunkin has more locations in those states.

Great Idea @Road Guy  my brother might be moving to Colorado so I will keep that in mind if we go visit him.

If you are ever in NYC (whenever this pandemic and crime wave goes down) Culture Espresso is a great place with good coffee and the best cookies I've ever had https://www.cultureespresso.com/

For those who go to New Jersey beaches, Rook Coffee in Monmouth and Ocean counties (featured in my avatar) is the place to go https://rookcoffee.com/

If I lived in Hawaii I’d be drinking Kona.

I started drinking coffee 10 yrs ago after son was born but only at the office.   It started as a way to stay awake but turned into a 9:00 brake time.   I haven’t had a coffee since working from home. 

Back