Solve This Problem and Get Paid

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cram For The PE

Reaction score
Note- This problem has been solved.

Reward has doubled!!!!! I will give the first person to solve this problem my complete set of books for free OR can get $100 cash. See link for complete details.

http://cramforthepe.com/index.php/2020/04/27/circuit-problem-solve-the-problem-and-get-a-discount/

An AC analog amp-meter with a range of 0 to 1000 amps is placed in the primary of the circuit to determine the primary current as shown below. If both transformers are subtractive polarity, what would the amp meter read?

Untitled.png

Answer to nearest hundredth. Please show details about answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Equivalent Z = 50.225
2. Transferring to the primary side, Zp= 50.225 * 7/2 * 7/2 since transformers have same polarity, the ratio is 7/2, while transferring impedance, we multiply by square of the ratio
3. I = 240/Zp = 0.3900 A

1. Equivalent Z = 50.225
2. Transferring to the primary side, Zp= 50.225 * 7/2 * 7/2 since transformers have same polarity, the ratio is 7/2, while transferring impedance, we multiply by square of the ratio
3. I = 240/Zp = 0.3900 A
This is incorrect.

I will give a hint. The answer is NOT 42! 😂. Narrows it down for you guys a little.
I've never covered a topic like this before. I'm not super refreshed on the specifics of transformers, but it seems like the magnetic fields inside the cores of the transformers would be conflicting against each other. E.g. If we assume the same current is flowing in the primaries, and assume the correct ratio of current is produced on the secondary of the 4:1 transformer, then that secondary current would be producing a magnetic field in the 3:1 transformer that is fighting against the magnetic field produced from its primary. So I don't really know where to go from here.

Looking forward to seeing the explanation!

VpT1 = 4/7 • V                              VsT1 = 1/4 •4/7 • V = V/7

VpT2 = 3/7 x V                              VsT2 = 1/3 • 3/7 • V = V/7

subtractive
VsT1 - VsT2 = V/7- V/7 = 0

Is = 0/Z = 0 therefore Ip = 0

😁

Last edited by a moderator:
Since both transformers are subtractive, their secondary voltages should add together. If one transformer was subtractive and the other was additive, then the difference would be used.

image.png

Due to subtractive polarity, combined turns ratio is 4-3:1 i.e. 1:1

Equivalent impedance referred to primary is thus same i.e. calculated 50<-2.2 or 50.

I=240/50,-2.2=4.8<2.2 or 5A. 

VpT1 = 4/7 • V                              VsT1 = 1/4 •4/7 • V = V/7

VpT2 = 3/7 x V                              VsT2 = 1/3 • 3/7 • V = V/7

subtractive
VsT1 - VsT2 = V/7- V/7 = 0

Is = 0/Z = 0 therefore Ip = 0

😁
This is incorrect.

Back