PE Application Questions

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOULVV

Reaction score
Hi all,

I passed Civil PE Structural exam in October 2019. I took the exam in TX because back then I only had 2.5 yrs of work experience. Now I have 3 yrs + 1 month work experience with a MS degree. However, I live and work in NY, my question is can I directly apply my PE license in NY instead of applying in TX first and then transfer to NY? 

I know in NY, people need to send applications first and if the board approves, you are allowed to take the exam. That's why I am a little confused because I've already passed the exam without any application filed to neither TX board nor NY boards.

Any idea/suggestion would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Ah, so Texas is a decoupled state (you can take the PE before meeting all the other requirements) and NY is a couple stated (meeting all the requirement is connected to taking the PE).

Yeah, that can be a problem. I don't know if anyone from NY here can answer you. But the best option is to contact the NY state board directly and ask them how to proceed.

I passed Civil PE Structural exam in October 2019. I took the exam in TX because back then I only had 2.5 yrs of work experience. Now I have 3 yrs + 1 month work experience with a MS degree. However, I live and work in NY, my question is can I directly apply my PE license in NY instead of applying in TX first and then transfer to NY? 
I would suggest contacting the New York Board directly.  If the NY Board insists that they cannot license you (on the basis that you took the exam before meeting the Board's requirements), then your recourse is to obtain a Texas license, and apply to New York via comity/endorsement.   

Note that there is no such thing as "transferring" a PE license from one state to another.  You would have to file two separate applications in the latter case, resulting in two PE licenses.

Back