Official Transition of PE Power Exam to CBT (Computer Based Test) in 2021

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mohammed Ahmed

Reaction score
Hello, 

As most of you aware that the PE Power Exam will be in form of CBT starting from Jan 2021. Due to that transition, no external reference will be allowed during the test and only NCEES reference book, which will be published officially by NCEES coming July,  can be used. From this moment till exam date and from your point of expertise, what is the best way to prepare for the test since those references which I bought recently such as Power Reference Manual and Graffeo's reference book can't be used during the exam. There are too many topics covered in the exam and it is good to start preparing for the exam in early stage. Thanks 

That's a great question. Hopefully some of those who have taken the CBT can chime in. 

Even though you can't take those references with you they are still going to prove useful. If these are the only two books you have so far you need to look into purchasing/renting other resources. I didn't find Camara's reference book useful at all. Sure there were times during one of the exams where I grabbed it in a panic to try find info that would help me with one of the problems. In general though I didn't like that reference. 

I would suggest Eng Pro Guide for the Power Exam. All of Justin's resources will help tremendously. https://www.engproguides.com/power-pe-exam-study-guide-tools.html

https://www.electricalpereview.com/ has a ton of free resources online and Zach now has a practice exam that you can purchase.

Both of these guys offer prep courses as well.

I'm going to start studying for the October PE but when NCEES offers the Power reference book I'm going to check that out. I'm very curious how they are going to compile all the info needed for the exam. Is it going to be a 1 million page document?!?!?! 🤣

Something else you could do is go into forum groups for those who have already transitioned. I know environmental did a while ago. Maybe scroll through that group to see if you can find any info on how the transition went. I would be curious to hear how the NCEES provided ref. manual compared to the references that they used to study with. 

That's a great question. Hopefully some of those who have taken the CBT can chime in. 

Even though you can't take those references with you they are still going to prove useful. If these are the only two books you have so far you need to look into purchasing/renting other resources. I didn't find Camara's reference book useful at all. Sure there were times during one of the exams where I grabbed it in a panic to try find info that would help me with one of the problems. In general though I didn't like that reference. 

I would suggest Eng Pro Guide for the Power Exam. All of Justin's resources will help tremendously. https://www.engproguides.com/power-pe-exam-study-guide-tools.html

https://www.electricalpereview.com/ has a ton of free resources online and Zach now has a practice exam that you can purchase.

Both of these guys offer prep courses as well.

I'm going to start studying for the October PE but when NCEES offers the Power reference book I'm going to check that out. I'm very curious how they are going to compile all the info needed for the exam. Is it going to be a 1 million page document?!?!?! 🤣

Something else you could do is go into forum groups for those who have already transitioned. I know environmental did a while ago. Maybe scroll through that group to see if you can find any info on how the transition went. I would be curious to hear how the NCEES provided ref. manual compared to the references that they used to study with. 
Yeah, I can't imagine how big the reference book will be... Hopefully they can publish it early next month. 

Meanwhile, I will continue studying from the references I have in addition to the above references which you just shared. appreciate your help and guidance for those references. 

Wish you all the best in your exam.. 

I'm very curious how they are going to compile all the info needed for the exam. Is it going to be a 1 million page document?!?!?! 🤣
Me too, the references I have for the October exam would definitely be difficult to compile even just the key formulas in less than 100 pages.

Back