October 2020 Exams - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards

What is everyone’s thoughts on wether or not the October 2020 pencil and paper exams will be canceled? I was scheduled to take the April 2020 Transportation exam and I know I need to start studying for the October exam next month but I just don’t know how my brain would take it if the exam got canceled again. I can’t imagine going through that again lol. What are everyone’s thoughts? Does anyone have any insight on if we will be able to sit for the exam in October? 

NCEES claims that the October exams are still happening. My advice is that anyone who plans to take the test in October should study as if the exam will happen in October. At the same time, they should avoid getting too emotionally attached to the October date should the exam be cancelled again.

If you don't want to deal with the potential stress of going through another cancellation then you should consider planning to take the exam in April 2021.

Edited by RBHeadge PE
  • Like 4

Pennsylvania has this red/yellow/green system of limitations in place for to the pandemic, and even in the green phase planned gatherings of 250 people or more are restricted. Only time will tell if testing sites will have the number of examinees limited before shuffling them off to another site. Personally, I have my doubts. 

12 hours ago, Odinious said:

Pennsylvania has this red/yellow/green system of limitations in place for to the pandemic, and even in the green phase planned gatherings of 250 people or more are restricted. Only time will tell if testing sites will have the number of examinees limited before shuffling them off to another site. Personally, I have my doubts. 

Same.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stardust said:

I should start studying again -__-

I’m giving it until June 15th then the grind begins 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CUniverse said:

I’m giving it until June 15th then the grind begins 

Just registered! Hope everything goes to plan.

Same here I plan to start studying again on Sunday the 14th. 

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

I'm pretty gun shy right now. No clue what I'm going to do. I know I need to start studying but I'm still pretty butt hurt over what happened in March. I have a stack of references beside my bed that I keep telling myself I'm going to pick up and start reading but I never actually make it happen. Life has been a little crazy lately. My husband and I are busier now than than we were when we had to commute to work everyday!

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, dsp002 said:

Just registered! Hope everything goes to plan.

Same here I plan to start studying again on Sunday the 14th. 

Good luck!!!

You too!!!

Does anyone think the code references will be updated if Oct2020 was cancelled to Apr2021? 

40 minutes ago, gradilla said:

Does anyone think the code references will be updated if Oct2020 was cancelled to Apr2021? 

They routinely update the code references. You should look at the exam specifications to see what subject matter and codes are applicable for the upcoming exam.

https://ncees.org/engineering/pe/

Click on your exam in the listing on the above page. Then click on exam specifications.

NCEES mentioned that it will be a two day exam event. 

This might help in separating the crowds.

Thursday, October 22, 2020
Civil: Geotechnical
Civil: Transportation
Civil: Water Resources and Environmental
SE Vertical Forces Bridges
SE Vertical Forces Buildings

Friday, October 23, 2020
Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Architectural Engineering
Civil: Construction
Civil: Structural
Control Systems
Electrical and Computer: Computer Engineering
Electrical and Computer: Electronics, Controls, and Communications
Electrical and Computer: Power
Metallurgical and Materials
Mining and Mineral Processing
Naval Architecture and Marine
SE Lateral Forces Bridges
SE Lateral Forces Buildings

https://ncees.org/news/

Edited by Fisherman504

NCEES announced that beginning Jan. 2021 electrical power would convert to CBT. So it looks like my fate has been determined. I'll be taking it this October. I really want to pass this thing with all by references that I've purchased over the years,

I admit with every state being different in terms of what is considered a large gathering I would hate to be the scheduler trying to plan all this out...  

best of luck to all of you in limbo!

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 9:04 AM, Fisherman504 said:

NCEES mentioned that it will be a two day exam event. 

This might help in separating the crowds.

Thursday, October 22, 2020
Civil: Geotechnical
Civil: Transportation
Civil: Water Resources and Environmental
SE Vertical Forces Bridges
SE Vertical Forces Buildings

Friday, October 23, 2020
Agricultural and Biological Engineering
Architectural Engineering
Civil: Construction
Civil: Structural
Control Systems
Electrical and Computer: Computer Engineering
Electrical and Computer: Electronics, Controls, and Communications
Electrical and Computer: Power
Metallurgical and Materials
Mining and Mineral Processing
Naval Architecture and Marine
SE Lateral Forces Bridges
SE Lateral Forces Buildings

https://ncees.org/news/

Bet thing about this is I don't have to give up my Saturday, AND I get two days off work paid!

• Like 2

Well I’m back. I guess I should start studying now.

• Like 4

On 6/24/2020 at 10:14 AM, civilrobot said:

Well I’m back. I guess I should start studying now.

welcome back!

Been trying to keep up the momentum but it is hard especially seeing some states on the rise.  We are doing OK here in MA for the time being.... Does anyone see a possibility where NCEES offers the exam to people in some states but not others? I can't see them doing it unless they can offer in all 50 states.

I registered for my exam today and noticed "board approval pending" .  I got my approval from board on Jan 2019.  Since NCEES center is closed I reached out to them through chat service and  the person told me it doesn't show on NCEES system. I already took exam on April 2019 and failed.  The person on the chat asked me to send an email to board asking to update the NCEES. I don' understand how board communicates with NCEES. I sent the email to board. 

P.S: I was actually surprised to see the rudeness of the person on the chat. Person (Dallas) just kept closing the chat improperly and closed it again and again when i was trying to ask more questions. How they get job to handle customer service with that attitude and we have to pay $100 just for admin fee.   

20 hours ago, civilMC said:

Been trying to keep up the momentum but it is hard especially seeing some states on the rise.  We are doing OK here in MA for the time being.... Does anyone see a possibility where NCEES offers the exam to people in some states but not others? I can't see them doing it unless they can offer in all 50 states.

72f40b02cc54254d96a3c797eca45a2743867b71

Honestly, I am not hopeful that the exam is offered again. EET is about to kick the tires on their online breadth course and I will follow though until this frigging thing is canceled again. I know it is selfish to be that upset about it, but... dang. Studying in the winter when it gets dark at 5-6 PM and freezing out is a different story than it is during the summer.

• Like 1

I started studying again a couple weeks ago and I also don't think my brain can handle the exam getting canceled again. It was absolutely devastating in March, and I'm dreading going back to my 15-20 hours per week of studying, not to mention all of the stress and anxiety of wondering if it's even going to be worth it or if it will be canceled again. I wish NCEES would release their strategy for administering the exam in a safe way. I get that they have two days of exams now, but there were 16,000 people who weren't able to take the exam in April, and I imagine that most of them are going to take it in October. So they'll still have approximately the same amount of people each day. What's their strategy for keeping everyone safe? Are they going to guarantee social distancing will be enforced? Are we going to be required to wear a mask during the entire exam? I know it's four months out, but even just a developing strategy would be a little comforting right now. 

• Like 2

I had a novel idea over the weekend. I'm thinking about holding off on registering and studying at full force until there's some certainty to this situation. No point in dropping everything in my life to dedicate 10-20 hours per week to something that may not even happen or may actually happen in an unsafe manner. 

States are doing their own thing and if NCEES leaves it up to the State to decide, I'd rather not be in an overcrowded room with proctors whispering in my face while I'm trying to take an exam and not get sick. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see what it's like to sit for the exam so that I can make an informed decision. There are times when we're just close. In line, bathroom, hotels, etc. 

I'd rather study and continue to solve problems at a reduced rate of urgency until the country has a solid group of grown ups in charge and we're actually making progress as a unit.

• Like 3

On 7/6/2020 at 1:48 PM, civilrobot said:

I had a novel idea over the weekend. I'm thinking about holding off on registering and studying at full force until there's some certainty to this situation. No point in dropping everything in my life to dedicate 10-20 hours per week to something that may not even happen or may actually happen in an unsafe manner. 

States are doing their own thing and if NCEES leaves it up to the State to decide, I'd rather not be in an overcrowded room with proctors whispering in my face while I'm trying to take an exam and not get sick. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see what it's like to sit for the exam so that I can make an informed decision. There are times when we're just close. In line, bathroom, hotels, etc. 

I'd rather study and continue to solve problems at a reduced rate of urgency until the country has a solid group of grown ups in charge and we're actually making progress as a unit.

I think you're on to something. Pennsylvania will be issuing a ban on gatherings of over 25 people tomorrow or Thursday in its southwestern counties due to a spike in covid-19 cases. If a ban on gatherings like this can occur on such short notice, then why put in the months of effort? 

Edited by Odinious
False alarm: https://www.wtae.com/article/pennsylvania-holds-off-on-new-pandemic-restrictions/33252191

I live here in Pittsburgh and with spikes generating bans on gatherings, closures of various businesses, and this stuff happening with little notice, I am skipping the October 2020 Civil Structural Exam.

Yeah, I failed in October 2019 and was all wound up, working on problems, and studying more materials full steam ahead when April 2020 was cancelled. I am not going to risk studying through the Summer when my kids are stuck at home and then back to school where we are teaching them at home 3 days a week. No, it's not lost study time should it be canceled (partially lost though) but it's lost time with my family and putting more on my wife during very trying times.

Things are crazy, life isn't exactly simple right now, and I'm not sure October will bring peace & quiet. I would rather wait and shoot for April 2021 when things will (hopefully) be much more certain.

That's my plan. Maybe it's not the best plan. Maybe it's not even a good plan. Maybe it won't work out, maybe it will but it's what Ive got right now.

• Like 2