Need help in identifying the best practice problem book with EXAM LIKE QUESTIONS for (HVAC & R - PE exam)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for the best practice problem book with "EXAM LIKE QUESTIONS" for HVAC & R - PE exam. What I am looking for feel for the exam like questions difficulty level and not trying to get into lengthy solutions and details which would not be tested in the exam. I would rather spend time to get a feel for the questions which would reflect the exam like questions as well as the difficulty level that way I can prepare better to handle such questions in the exam. I know there are several options based on my research, including slay the PE, 6 minute solutions, PPI practice problems etc etc. which one do you think worth investing time and effort.

Your input in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

The best resource is this https://account.ncees.org/exam-prep/368 . From the website: "This book contains 80 questions and solutions to familiarize you with the PE Mechanical Engineering: HVAC and Refrigeration exam format." I bought this and used it myself; it's a practice exam and looks very similar to the actual problems you would see on the exam. However, you may want to study this at the beginning of your studying cycle, to familiarize yourself with the type of questions asked, and then don't touch it again until you are about a month out from your actual test date and perform a mock exam with it. 

Hi all, I am looking for the best practice problem book with "EXAM LIKE QUESTIONS" for HVAC & R - PE exam. What I am looking for feel for the exam like questions difficulty level and not trying to get into lengthy solutions and details which would not be tested in the exam. I would rather spend time to get a feel for the questions which would reflect the exam like questions as well as the difficulty level that way I can prepare better to handle such questions in the exam. I know there are several options based on my research, including slay the PE, 6 minute solutions, PPI practice problems etc etc. which one do you think worth investing time and effort.

Your input in this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!
Hello.

FYI, we don't have (yet) products targeted to the HVAC&R exam; only TFS. There is some overlap, but we also cover a LOT of stuff you don't need.

Thanks for your feedback on this. Looking at the HVAC & R break down on NCEES website, there are approximately 50% questions related to HVAC & R (Application) and the rest are supporting theoretical / Principles based questions. For example: Heat transfer, fluid mechanics and Thermodynamics etc. 

Thanks for your feedback on this. Looking at the HVAC & R break down on NCEES website, there are approximately 50% questions related to HVAC & R (Application) and the rest are supporting theoretical / Principles based questions. For example: Heat transfer, fluid mechanics and Thermodynamics etc. 
This is correct. Hence our book would cover all you need for the supporting theoretical principles questions, but you will still need another resource to prepare for the applications part.

If you do get our book, I think you would be OK if you skipped the following:

In Part I: THERMODYNAMICS, skip the following sections:

• 09. The Rankine Cycle
  • 10. The Brayton Cycle
  • 12. Otto and Diesel Cycles
  • 13. Gas Mixtures
  • 15. Combined Power Cycles
Also, in this part our coverage of ideal gases might be overkill (HVAC&R peeps may not need to navigate the variable Cp air tables)

In Part II: FLUID MECHANICS, skip the following sections:

• 04: Conservation of Momentum
  • 05: Flows over Immersed Bodies
  • 09: Compressible Flow: Isentropic Flow & Nozzles
  • 10: Compressible Flow: Normal Shockwaves
  • 11: Compressible, Adiabatic Flow with Friction (Fanno Flow)
In Part IV: HEAT TRANSFER & HEAT EXCHANGER ANALYSIS

• 04: Transient Conduction -- The "Late" Regime
  • 05: Transient Conduction -- The ";Early" Regime
  • 06: External Forced Convection
  • 08: Natural Convection
  • 11: Radiation Heat Transfer
In Part V: GENERAL ENGINEERING AND SUPPORTIVE KNOWLEDGE, maybe skip the whole thing except for Section 01: Economic Analysis

Most definitely go through all of Part III: PSYCHROMETRICS & HVAC

Get a free preview of the book here: https://www.slaythepe.com/tfs-cbt-preview.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for sharing these details. This does help me a lot. I think it would be great if you have a practice problem book for HVAC & R folks that way a person like me have more choices to choose from.

Thanks again!!! 

Thank you very much for sharing these details. This does help me a lot. I think it would be great if you have a practice problem book for HVAC & R folks that way a person like me have more choices to choose from.

Thanks again!!! 
Yeah, we're working on it. Probably ready by late 2020. Hopefully by then you will not need it :)

ExOverZero has four 80-question HVAC&R practice exams with complete solutions, and an HVAC Reference Handbook Drillbook to get you familiar with using the NCEES Reference Handbook (v 1.1). Up to date with the 2020 exam specifications! 

Check out www.exoverzero.com for more info, and use coupon code HVAC2020 to get 50% off print books. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back