I'm getting kind of overwhelmed....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battletoad

Reaction score
Hello all, 

I've just recently acquired my EIT within the state of Texas earlier this year.  Thanks to the decoupling rule in this state, I now have plans to go full steam ahead to take the PE Power exam in OCT 2020 (Registered for Zach's course).

Here is my dilemma, I have virtually no electrical industry experience whatsoever.  I feel I've made a mistake in my career by pursing an avenue in the public sector where design and general practice of engineering was usually observed from a far (10+).  I'm now at a point where I want to rectify this.... and steer my career back into the electrical industry, which my first step was passing the FE.  I'm hoping with these exams under my belt, these companies will finally give me a chance.

My question is the following, if one has never worked within the electrical industry, will this exam be more difficult?  ALL of the subjects I'm seeing on the NCEES outline is a first for me, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the breadth of topics I've never touch out in the real world.  Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

Hello all, 

I've just recently acquired my EIT within the state of Texas earlier this year.  Thanks to the decoupling rule in this state, I now have plans to go full steam ahead to take the PE Power exam in OCT 2020 (Registered for Zach's course).

Here is my dilemma, I have virtually no electrical industry experience whatsoever.  I feel I've made a mistake in my career by pursing an avenue in the public sector where design and general practice of engineering was usually observed from a far (10+).  I'm now at a point where I want to rectify this.... and steer my career back into the electrical industry, which my first step was passing the FE.  I'm hoping with these exams under my belt, these companies will finally give me a chance.

My question is the following, if one has never worked within the electrical industry, will this exam be more difficult?  ALL of the subjects I'm seeing on the NCEES outline is a first for me, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the breadth of topics I've never touch out in the real world.  Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.
If you worked in the public sector (or utility) you are at a disadvantage. Not only in taking the PE but compared to other engineers that got the correct experience. My advise to all engineers starting out in their career is not to start in the public sector. The good news is I bet you are not challenged at your job. So you will have time to study while at your desk. Practice problems after practice problems. You will catch on. It seems overwhelming if you are just looking at it for first time. The problems will become easier as you move through them. Far more important than passing the PE is to think about the experience you are getting.

http://cramforthepe.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, 

Thanks for signing up for our online program for the electrical PE exam, we're happy to have you. 

While it will be more difficult with less industry experience, the PE exam is so large in scope that very few engineers will ever have first hand experience in all of the areas that the exam covers so don't feel like you are at a huge disadvantage compared to others. Luckily, the October exam still allows outside references so you'll want to bring plenty of reference material for industry based application and qualitative questions. We will be covering this along with other general strategy during our first live class together. 

I feel as if I need to know more about the specific experience you had prior to answering appropriately but, speaking as someone who has worked 30+ years for an electric utility,  I found that I was well prepared experience wise for the 2014 Power PE.  Zach makes a good point that, because of the scope, no one is going to prepared for all aspects.  I have worked in many different areas so I had more breadth than some but not as much depth as others.  However just being familiar with theory, terms,  and practical applications made a huge difference.  You made a good first step by registering for a prep class.  Did you major in EE?  When you said you were seeing those topics for the first time it made me think that you might have majored in another discipline.  If so, while passing would still be possible,  it's going to be more of a challenge. Good luck!

Back