MDM CBT Self Study Recommendations - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
cjohnson

MDM CBT Self Study Recommendations

Hello all.  I am planning to take the new CBT format of the MDM exam as soon as the testing centers open back up.  I have completed some online solids refreshers and took the NCEES practice exam with so-so results (45/80).  I am on a budget like everyone and during this time my employer is not willing to fund any of the prep courses so I was hoping that someone might have some recommendations for good self-study materials for MDM in general since it is such a broad topic.  I could use a good refresher on vibrations/dynamics or Von Mises along with more practice problems in most areas.  I don't mind spending a little, but I can't afford to self-fund any of the prep courses that I have seen.  Any help is greatly appreciated so thank you in advance.

Edited by cjohnson

I bought PPI's Learning Hub program that comes with the MERM and MEPP. Those are really good resources and I only paid $350 for them for 6 months of access. I would not pay for those classes they have since the MERM and MEPP will teach you to pass the test. I took the NCEES practice test in December and bombed it hard (~30/80). Apparently I did not remember much from college. After 5 months studying about 400 hours I retook it and got a 78/80. It's probably the best bang for your buck. If you don't want to spend money I recommend this guys Youtube channel. It only covers a subsection of the test, but he is amazing: 

• Like 1

Hm... I was fortunate in that my company paid for my class (Dr. Tom's Classroom) and books.

The NCEES practice exam is good. So is Six-minute problems book. The MERM has pretty much everything you need to know in it, although I found their practice problems too hard and unrealistically complex.

You could see if anyone is selling used books in the "yard sale" forum. That's a good way to save money. 

I wish I had some better recommendations for you. Good luck!

Thanks guys I do genuinely appreciate the responses.  I have found Dr. Hanson's Youtube videos and they are amazing for Solids 1 and I feel good about that content after reviewing his channel, but I could use some more of the Junior year content haha.  It looks like PPI offers the Learning Hub without the hard copies of the book fairly affordably.  I may try 3 months of the online learning hub and hope that the company changes their mind once I pass (probably not but PE credential is worth the pursuit either way).  Did your course have hard copies or just the web books?

I have used Dr. Tom's Classroom and it has been very helpful so far. His website doesn't come with any books but it comes with a good amount of practice problems. I would recommend buying the Eng Pro MDM practice exam and also their study guide that they have made. Both of those combined are only around $80 and have a lot of good problems and review in there. The link for those resources are here:

https://www.engproguides.com/pe-machine-design-materials-practice-exam-tools.html