Starting an Engineering Firm and working remotely in a different state

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Letgp

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a Civil Engineer with over 9 years of Roadway Design experience and I want to start my own engineering firm. I am currently a PE licensed in Texas but recently moved to California. I would like to start my firm in California (home office) and keep working for current Texas projects. I do not have a PE license in California and I understand without it I can't do Engineering work for California jobs but can I open my firm in the State to continue offering my services in the State that I am licensed? I am in the process of getting my California PE License but I need to open my business in the following 3 weeks.

Thank you!

I think you have to be extremely careful here, and at least check with the California Board before proceeding.  Some states are *very* particular about use of the terms "engineer" or "engineering" (in a company name) if you're not licensed to practice in that state.  You stated that you will not (yet) be offering services in California...but your office *will be* in that state.  Will you be incorporating?

You may want to consult an attorney experienced in matters with the California Board.  The last thing you want is a disciplinary action.  

I think you have to be extremely careful here, and at least check with the California Board before proceeding.  Some states are *very* particular about use of the terms "engineer" or "engineering" (in a company name) if you're not licensed to practice in that state.  You stated that you will not (yet) be offering services in California...but your office *will be* in that state.  Will you be incorporating?

You may want to consult an attorney experienced in matters with the California Board.  The last thing you want is a disciplinary action.  

Definitely something to think about.  Hopefully theres a way for you to careful go about doing this.

Back