Quarantine Projects / New Skills Acquired

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
This may not look like much but this tiny workbench has been a dumpster since we moved in (yikes 7 years ago?)  I had most of this lumber left over from my over the garage shelf system - but added the 2 shelves under the workbench to at least start to organize my **** better.. 

I swear I must have found 3-4 items that I typically cant ever find when I need them and end up rebuying (like caulk guns, sawzall blades,etc)- I thnik I must own $400 in 3 IN drywall screws...

Next on the list is to find a way to organize all of  like items..  Just dont have a very big garage :(  Off camera there is a decent sized tool chest - that is also a similar dumpster fire, but is at least organized by drill bits / sockets / wrenches / screwdrivers / etc

IMG_1594.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^I'm wanting to organize my tools a little better, but we spent all day Saturday organizing our garage. It looks like a different place right now and I'm hoping we can keep it a bit more organized. The kids are the worst because they just start piling things up on whatever shelf they find space on, and it stays there until we put it up or threaten to throw it away.

I trimmed the holly trees in the backyard.  Only took me 8 years to get around to it!

I'm finally getting around to clearing out the weedy flower bed that I need to trench to re-route the supply line from my well.

Both the front and back yards are planned for a makeover, but it's a long process since I have to execute everything in a specific order.

"We" built a 2nd raised bed - as in Boyfriend dug it out and assembled the frame while I cleaned up the other one.

Both garden beds are mine tho so it's all me to take care of them. All of this was planned last summer tho lol

I'm also getting real good at breadmaking lol (but I baked excessively before quarantine anyway) 

Getting better at leather working. Made a leather face mask with a pocket for filter material.
BLITZWAY_Hannibal_Straitjacket_1.jpg

Sweet!  I'd love to do blacksmithing just to get into making knives, but absolutely, 100%, do not have the room for it.

After getting into it and poking around the internet, I found most knife makers don't even forge anymore. They just buy stock and cut away the excess. Then grind to shape and sand to finish. But for things like axes, draw knives, swords, etc. some still forge. I think forging knives really comes into play when using scrap metal instead of stock.

My interest at the moment is learning how to control the hammers lol. Definitely different than hammering nails.

After getting into it and poking around the internet, I found most knife makers don't even forge anymore. They just buy stock and cut away the excess. Then grind to shape and sand to finish. But for things like axes, draw knives, swords, etc. some still forge. I think forging knives really comes into play when using scrap metal instead of stock.

My interest at the moment is learning how to control the hammers lol. Definitely different than hammering nails.
Yeah, buying cheap damascus blanks and shaping a handle isn't what I'd call knife making!

I'm not going to lie, it's seriously a lot of fun. There's just something about it that makes you feel like a badass, and at the same time it's very therapeutic. Definitely at great stress reliever. 

Back