Job Security, COVID-19 version

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stardust

Reaction score
I'm trying to think ahead in case COVID-19 gets much worse in the States and starts to affect say the construction industry. I'd like to know how do you think it's gonna affect civil engineers going forward? Anything different happens at your job, aside from working from home?

I'd think construction of new projects might be halted and looking for a new job is definitely more difficult now compared to a month ago...

I work for a international real estate/construction company and on a call yesterday my boss said this will have a catastrophic impact to our business.  I also laid off two long term employees yesterday (15 year and 18 year employees). 

The job market for many is definitely worse today than it was a month ago while others will see an increase in demand for their skills.

We have a decent mix of clients, so the current outlook  is ok, based on our industry clients in the food and ag business being essential.  I've worked on at least 4 proposals the past two weeks, and that is more than normal for me TBH. 

I was working on four hospitality projects and one housing project.  We were told to stop all our design efforts on the hospitality projects for the immediate future.

Back