COVID19 and CBT Tests thru PearsonVUE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ijoinedbecausecovid

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a mild  major panic attack when I saw the news about the April 2020 pencil and paper exams being cancelled. I'm taking the PE ME Machine Design and Materials test on April 6, which luckily this year is a CBT. At the moment it is not cancelled. The NCEES website says to refer the the PearsonVUE website which states "If you already have a scheduled exam:Your exam appointment will proceed as scheduled unless you receive an email cancellation." So I had a sigh of relief that the 400 hours I put into studying won't go to waste... at least not yet. Has anyone had their CBT tests cancelled anywhere in the US? If so, how did PeasonVUE handle the rescheduling? 

If I have to take the test in 4 months there is no way I'll be as fresh on the subject matter. Probably will need to put in another 100-200 hours of study to stay fresh.

Has anyone had their CBT tests cancelled anywhere in the US? If so, how did PeasonVUE handle the rescheduling?

From the NCEES homepage

Pearson VUE Professional Test Centers Close in the United States and Canada
Pearson VUE professional test centers in the United States and Canada are now closed and will remain closed until April 16 or whenever conditions are deemed safe to reopen.

Pearson VUE has notified impacted examinees. NCEES is working with Pearson VUE to allow these examinees to reschedule an exam appointment at no charge. Once these details are confirmed, NCEES will send more information to impacted examinees via email.

Hey all,

I had a mild  major panic attack when I saw the news about the April 2020 pencil and paper exams being cancelled. I'm taking the PE ME Machine Design and Materials test on April 6, which luckily this year is a CBT. At the moment it is not cancelled. The NCEES website says to refer the the PearsonVUE website which states "If you already have a scheduled exam:Your exam appointment will proceed as scheduled unless you receive an email cancellation." So I had a sigh of relief that the 400 hours I put into studying won't go to waste... at least not yet. Has anyone had their CBT tests cancelled anywhere in the US? If so, how did PeasonVUE handle the rescheduling? 

If I have to take the test in 4 months there is no way I'll be as fresh on the subject matter. Probably will need to put in another 100-200 hours of study to stay fresh.
All the testing centers in the US and Canada are closed until April 16, you should have gotten your refund by now.

My CBT test is on April 18 and from the way things are going here in CA, it is possible the test centers will extend the closure date.

do i qualify to reschedule the exam without paying a fee although my exam is after April 16? None of the test centers answer my calls. I don’t want to wait and then they suddenly decide to remain closed and now God knows when my rescheduled exam date will be since everybody else has rescheduled. 

Anyone has any update from Pearson testing centers in the US? 
the social distancing situation was extended through April 30th, so will the test centers for the CBT exam be closed until then? 
Right now the Pearson website says April 16th but the last update was on March 16. 

Anyone has any update from Pearson testing centers in the US? 
the social distancing situation was extended through April 30th, so will the test centers for the CBT exam be closed until then? 
Right now the Pearson website says April 16th but the last update was on March 16. 
Yeah...I'm scheduled to take ME CBT on Apr 27 and I'm worried they'll cancel it in the next week. 

The next available time to sit for the CBT in my 60 mi. range vicinity is July then...very frustrating being stuck in limbo like this.

Yeah...I'm scheduled to take ME CBT on Apr 27 and I'm worried they'll cancel it in the next week. 

The next available time to sit for the CBT in my 60 mi. range vicinity is July then...very frustrating being stuck in limbo like this.
It is best for you to monitor NCEES web site for the latest news.  Whatever Pearson is/will be doing for NCEES exams will be publicized by NCEES

I actually received an email from NCEES today, my exam got cancelled, why did they wait this long to let us know? The soonest appointment I could find was in August close to my area, that’s 3.5 months out. They plan to reopen starting May 1st but I still doubt it. 

Just an update:

My CBT PE ME Machine Design and Materials test original scheduled for April 6 was cancelled. I was credited a reschedule for May 13th. Luckily South Florida has 3 testing centers reasonably close so I was able to reschedule a reasonable date. The Pearson VUE website has very limited openings compared to the good old days of 2 months ago. I did the reschedule at the end of March. So far I've not heard any word of that being cancelled. Fingers crossed. Staying fresh is hard.

Does anyone in NY have a test in May that has not been cancelled yet?

Mine is scheduled for May 19th and I don’t know if it will be cancelled or not with the PAUSE Order ending on May 15th. 

For Florida NCEES sent this out today:

"We’re happy to let you know that test delivery to a subset of Pearson VUE test centers is scheduled to resume with reduced capacity on May 1. However, Pearson VUE must cancel most appointments currently scheduled for May to meet newly implemented social distancing guidelines. Appointments are extremely limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis. Although additional test centers will open as soon as possible, reduced capacity will be in place system-wide for the foreseeable future."

Do you know if your exam will need to be rescheduled or not?
@BuffaloWings

No, I have not gotten anything else about it. Only thing that changed was on MyNCEES it used to say May 13th, but now says 'NCEES is currently unable to display your exam appointment details. Select Manage Appointment to view your appointment in the Pearson VUE scheduling system.' Did yours change too?

Also, what do you think this bit means?

"Please note that NCEES examinees are not able to reschedule through the Pearson VUE website as instructed in the Pearson VUE email. Impacted examinees, including those with special accommodations, must reschedule through their MyNCEES account."

I thought the only way to do it was through the Manage Appointment button in MyNCEES which brings you to the Pearson VUE website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah mine changed automatically to a random date in the wrong state and city. I was able to change it back to my original date in May and noticed there were a lot more dates available in May, June and July.   It made me think they had some kind of Computer glitch that cancelled a bunch of people’s appointments. 

I haven’t received an email though saying my exam has officially been cancelled though. 

The only way I am aware of rescheduling your exam date is to go through the Manage Appointment button on the NCEES site which redirects you to Pearson. 

Is there any way to see testing center availability before purchasing the exam through NCEES?

@BuffaloWings
I checked my date through Pearson VUE and I noticed the exact same thing as you report. It was moved to June something and the location was 'Montana' of something weird. I noticed a lot of availability too at my original location so I moved mine to May 2nd now. I emailed NCEES with this:

MyNCEES is showing "NCEES is currently unable to display your exam appointment details. Select Manage Appointment to view your appointment in the Pearson VUE scheduling system." Pearson VUE is showing my test date as May 2nd at:pearson Professional Centers-Pembroke Pines FL7369 Sheridan St.Suite 204Pembroke Pines, Florida 33024Is the Pearson VUE time accurate?

Their response:

Good morning Allan,Looking at your account I can see that your appointment has not changed. It is possible that your exam has not been changed. Pearson Vue will contact you if you need to reschedule your exam. You can check your account regularly to see if anything has changed or you can contact Pearson Vue if you have questions or concerns.

So that's good news. Seems like I'll get to take the test. Its only 4 days away so I'll know soon enough either way. I also emailed them about what they meant in the email on how to reschedule and they said just use the Manage Appointment button on MyNCEES.

@cjohnson I don't know of a way sorry! Although if you reserve a time and they reschedule you there is no fee.

@Ijoinedbecausecovid

Check your email ASAP. 

I just received an email saying that I was automatically reschedule 30 days in a temporal placeholder. This must be why it was showing it messed up for both of us last night. 

@BuffaloWings

Yeah I got that email from Pearson VUE last night also, it seems to clarify what happened. Luckily it seems that by immediately rescheduling after they did the temporary placeholder we are good to go. I'll let you know if May 2nd happens for me. 

Back