April Exams are CANCELED - Anything about the PE Exam - Engineer Boards
Engineer Boards
Sign in to follow this  
JollyGreenGiant

April Exams are CANCELED

16 minutes ago, Glutton 4 Punishment 2020 said:

this feels worse than failing...

I failed this past October. No, no it doesnt. To each their own though.........

• Like 1

I am so so sorry you all 😞 

25 minutes ago, Glutton 4 Punishment 2020 said:

this feels worse than failing...

Definitely not!

8 minutes ago, JollyGreenGiant said:

I failed this past October. No, no it doesnt. To each their own though.........

I've failed several times now. I'm with you on this one! I'm pissed! But I'll get over it and I'll get back to it so I'm ready for October.

Woah!  

I feel terrible for all of you who studied this long :(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justanotherguy808 said:

rest in peace @civilrobot

Lol I’m actually fine. I didn’t overdo it this season so I’ll continue with my slow and steady approach. Studying a little bit everyday. Might take a break though.

• Like 1

I haven’t taken the exam before, but I have spent the last 5 months going the EET’s ondemand course and I was on the second to last video in my last depth session and I read this. Considered crying, laughed a little, I think I’m in the verge of insanity. Welp I guess it’s more time to study but man this is a punch in the gut. My apologies to anyone else going through the same thing. 

• Like 1

The subject line is a little misleading. Please realize that April Pencil-and-Paper exams are canceled. Computer-based exams are still happening (as of now).

Edit: but yeah, sorry for everyone impacted. This is rough!

Edited by jean15paul_PE
  • Like 1

I am so sorry for you guys! I know it would've crushed me if I were in your shoes. I hope you all keep studying (even slowly) until the next administration. I couldn't imagine being this close and stopping my study process to have to restart in a couple months.

We know and understand this is an unprecedented situation, but we would have expected at least a tentative from NCEES to postpone the exam in june or july by taking all the necessary public health precautions as for example distribute the exam in a week by congregating not more than 80 people a day rather then concentrating 400 people in a gym in one day and direct them to use an approved face mask... of course the exam location must be highly disinfected as they are doing EXACTLY now in most of the schools and indoor public areas.

• Like 1

I get why, but at the same time it's not like everyone is huddled around each other. Sucks to cancel it a month before the exam. Courses have been taken, hours spent studying and career advancements on hold. I feel bad you you folks who have spent hours and days studying. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ar.sa. said:

We know and understand this is an unprecedented situation, but we would have expected at least a tentative from NCEES to postpone the exam in june or july by taking all the necessary public health precautions as for example distribute the exam in a week by congregating not more than 80 people a day rather then concentrating 400 people in a gym in one day and direct them to use an approved face mask... of course the exam location must be highly disinfected as they are doing EXACTLY now in most of the schools and indoor public areas.

Doing multi-day testing would open the test up for collusion. And could open folks to having their exams invalidated. Not a good idea. 

19 hours ago, Ar.sa. said:

Not possible, not everyone would be able to agree on postponement date. It'd wouldn't be fair to those who had paid for an agreed upon date. Only option they had was October. Stop complaining and start social distancing like a responsible adult. 

• Like 2

These are crazy times - I feel for you all who were getting ready to hit this thing!

As an old timer dude I would recommend just focusing on the here and now to get through the next 2-3 months then ramp back up and do it all over again! - Sucks I know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It really sucks for the people who studied for so long and now the exam is cancelled. 
I think NCEES will have to administer the exam in October. The question is, how will state boards accommodate so many people taking the exam in October?

Cancelling the exams was probably a last resort thing for NCEES. with the Coronavirus spreading like wildfire, its for everyone's best interest to not sit in a gym with 100 people taking an exam/ spreading the virus among the test takers.

8 hours ago, Harambe P.E. said:

The question is, how will state boards accommodate so many people taking the exam in October?

Cancelling the exams was probably a last resort thing for NCEES. with the Coronavirus spreading like wildfire, its for everyone's best interest to not sit in a gym with 100 people taking an exam/ spreading the virus among the test takers.

NCEES handles all of the logistics of administering the exams. The state boards merely grant candidates permission to sit for the exam. I have no idea how NCEES will figure out the details for twice as many candidates, but I'm sure they'll figure it out with enough lead time. 

October is still seven months away, lots of things can change wrt covid between now and then. They'll certainly evaluate conditions as the exam date approaches and determine the necessary course of action.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 4:41 PM, CUniverse said:

I haven’t taken the exam before, but I have spent the last 5 months going the EET’s ondemand course and I was on the second to last video in my last depth session and I read this. Considered crying, laughed a little, I think I’m in the verge of insanity. Welp I guess it’s more time to study but man this is a punch in the gut. My apologies to anyone else going through the same thing. 

Same and felt so ready too. Oh well, I have time to do it all over and better.

• Like 1

Agreed... it's a real downer.  The truly amazing part is that they haven't converted the test to electronic testing yet.  The technology existed over 15 years ago yet there are still these paper and pencil exams.  It's insane.  My wife is a CPA and had to take like 4 (qty), 5-hour exams, likely harder than the PE exam, she completed that over 10 years ago at a local testing agency, computer based.  Also consider that they chose to convert the Civil PE last... the biggest group of testers each year.  Makes me wonder if they were motivated in some other way to delay the conversion.  I wonder if NCEES gets more cash with paper and pencil rather than paying another third party test administration company...?  

• Like 1

On 3/22/2020 at 9:14 AM, Slowsolver said:

Agreed... it's a real downer.  The truly amazing part is that they haven't converted the test to electronic testing yet.  The technology existed over 15 years ago yet there are still these paper and pencil exams.  It's insane.  My wife is a CPA and had to take like 4 (qty), 5-hour exams, likely harder than the PE exam, she completed that over 10 years ago at a local testing agency, computer based.  Also consider that they chose to convert the Civil PE last... the biggest group of testers each year.  Makes me wonder if they were motivated in some other way to delay the conversion.  I wonder if NCEES gets more cash with paper and pencil rather than paying another third party test administration company...?  

I would think they want to start small, like a pilot. That way if something goes wrong they don't affect many test takers. If they screwed up the Civil exam administration, that would be HUGE. Civils are the most test takers and rely on their license the most of any group.

Also they have announced the CBT conversion for a long time, but they moved slowly. I assume this is to allow test takers, course creators, book publishers, and state boards time to adjust. There are a lot of moving parts to PE licensure. In every other situation we would be applauding them for moving slowly and deliberately. But in this case, now it's a burden on everyone. 

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. But I don't want to criticize NCEES unnecessarily. This situation isn't their fault. They are handling it as well as possible.

Then there is the SE, which I think logistically will be difficult to administer CBT.  Unless they get rid of the written portion.

The 3rd party test method doesn't all have to be CBT.  There is no reason that a 3rd party testing agency couldn't administer paper and pencil exams for part or sections of the exam.  The risk of cheating is not greater.  If they are trusting the agency to administer the exam as a CBT then they should be able to trust them with paper and pencil.  In this day and age of scanning and digital imaging it isn't a matter of technology.  Sure paper and pencil exam scores would not be immediate for the SE if there are written problems that need to be sent back to NCEES for review.  There is not doubt that they cannot make a mistake in this transition, I get it, there is a safety concern/risk with issuing licenses to unqualified testers.  Most other industries have converted to more efficient testing methods more than 10 years ago, some of which are also enabling licensees to perform very safety/risk focused professions.  Considering that NCEES are engineers, I would think we should be leading the industry technology, not falling behind or last.

This is from wikipedia regarding how architects are licensed.... computer based testing started in 1997:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architect_Registration_Examination

"In the late 1980s, as the practice of architecture moved into the computer age, NCARB began to develop a computer-based exam. After a decade of research and development, the last paper-and-pencil test was issued in 1996, and the computer-based exam rolled out in 1997."

Not a good situation. Now it is not known when we will join the exam. But this has one plus - we have more time to prepare, but I found work on the Internet for the quarantine period, it takes a lot of my time, but I hope top essay writing service will help with the preparation for the exams. For example, a story, an essay on which I never liked to write.

Edited by MendyMe