COVID-19

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daydreambeliever

Reaction score
Is anybody else stressed about the possibility of NCEES cancelling the exam due to COVID-19? The thought popped into my head earlier this week and I just pushed it aside. Things in my area have gotten more real today. My office is more than likely going to be closing and we will work from home. There are so many events that are being cancelled and organizations suspending/cancelling activities. Most colleges in the area are starting online classes on Monday or are extending spring break another week then re-evaluating. 

My exam is being held at a college! I guess as long as the school itself doesn't completely shut down we'll be fine. IDK

Am I being irrational here? I'm having a really hard time focusing at work and studying knowing that April 17th might not be test day. I don't want to keep taking time away from my family for no reason. 

Am I the only one freaking out here? It just hit me today. 

You’re not being irrational, I’ve thought the same thing as well. I’ve even considered contacting NCEES to inquire on this situation...

I am right there with ya! Keep an eye on NCEES website and let’s hope that worst case they reschedule vs completely canceling the test. I would be okay having to keep material fresh for another month vs 6 more months. 

I can only imagine how you guys are feeling right now! It really sucks. At least if you now plan to take it in Oct, you can slow your studying pace down and spend some time with your families. A nice long break, then getting back into it would actually help you retain more information, so at least there's that.

Agreed! Now I wonder when they will update the references I sure hope they don't change! I'm civil with structural depth so I don't wanna have to get all new stuff...
That's a great question to ask in the structural sub-forum - folks there may have insights to how often the standards change for your particular test.

I can only imagine how you guys are feeling right now! It really sucks. At least if you now plan to take it in Oct, you can slow your studying pace down and spend some time with your families. A nice long break, then getting back into it would actually help you retain more information, so at least there's that.
That's what's more depressing. Now we get 1 shot before it goes to CBT. So now I gladly bought all these reference books , tabs, online course, etc etc etc etc.... and I get 1 chance. After that, it goes to CBT and all of that is completely wasted time. 

That's what's more depressing. Now we get 1 shot before it goes to CBT. So now I gladly bought all these reference books , tabs, online course, etc etc etc etc.... and I get 1 chance. After that, it goes to CBT and all of that is completely wasted time. 
Well it's still tentative for 2021! Hopefully it won't convert in April 2021. But, you won't need more than 1 chance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Gahhh, I just got that email as well.

I have a question regarding the one year rule. I'm talking about that policy where you have to pass the PE Exam within one year of getting your approval letter to take the exam (otherwise you have to reapply). Does the one year "reset" or get delayed (for lack of better words) if NCEES is the one canceling the exam? Does anyone know?

I'm talking about that policy where you have to pass the PE Exam within one year of getting your approval letter to take the exam (otherwise you have to reapply).
Is this a state board thing or an NCEES thing?

At least if you now plan to take it in Oct, you can slow your studying pace down and spend some time with your families. A nice long break, then getting back into it would actually help you retain more information, so at least there's that.
Definitely going to take a break and get back to doing some a the things I enjoy, then when I mentally get over this I will get back to it but at a slower pace. 

I took a vacation day today to study and do some things around the house. I think I'm just going to walk to the bar now. I think I need beer!

Back