COVID-19

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I get all the way through the AEI lateral course only to have the exam cancelled...I'm not sure what I'll do but I won't be happy lol.

It appears that NCEES is starting to cancel (not postpone) April 2020 exams in some countries (not the U.S. yet): https://ncees.org/covid-19/
I've asked our state dept of licensing if they are planning on canceling since i'm in seattle and seattle is canceling all events with 250+ attendees... but they said not yet.

ncees i believe is offering refunds if you do want to personally cancel, according to the response I got, but not sure if that's officially announced? 

I've asked our state dept of licensing if they are planning on canceling since i'm in seattle and seattle is canceling all events with 250+ attendees... but they said not yet.

ncees i believe is offering refunds if you do want to personally cancel, according to the response I got, but not sure if that's officially announced? 
Oh lord..

I am in Orange County, California. Another densely populated region.. I don't see this slowing down anytime soon..

Has cancelling the exam ever happen in NCEES history?
Sorta. I believe there was an international site where local conditions temporarily shut down the exam site on the planned day of the test. IIRC they just rescheduled the exam for a day or two earlier/later.

But generally speaking, this is uncharted territory for something on a massive scale.

Risk aside... part of me wouldn't love having studied so hard for so long just to wait another 6 months, but another part of me says I could use the extra 6 months.  It would be rough if the codes change in the meantime too and I never got a shot at this set of codes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Risk aside... part of me wouldn't love having studied so hard for so long just to wait another 6 months, but another part of me says I could use the extra 6 months.  It would be rough if the codes change in the meantime too and I never got a shot at this set of codes.
Wholeheartedly agree. Same feeling here.

My plan was to aim to pass both this April and if not, at least pass one and be done by this October. The entire plan may need to change now. Also, with NBA suspending all games indefinitely, I don't see why NCEES wouldn't suspend exams as we get closer to the test day.

Yea it seems like this thing is going to be probably peaking right around the exam.  I may just cancel regardless of if they do or not.  I can wait a test cycle, and even if the codes do change they dont change that much and I'm almost certain October will be on IBC2015 now next year I'd bet money they go to 2018...but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.... all I know is the SE room where I took it was tiny .... but AFTER you made your way thru the couple hundred PE folks. 

Scary times.  

Hopefully NCEES and/or state boards make a decision sooner than later. With only a ~month until exams, they need to take the lead with a call one way or the other. 

Yea it seems like this thing is going to be probably peaking right around the exam.  I may just cancel regardless of if they do or not.  I can wait a test cycle, and even if the codes do change they dont change that much and I'm almost certain October will be on IBC2015 now next year I'd bet money they go to 2018...but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.... all I know is the SE room where I took it was tiny .... but AFTER you made your way thru the couple hundred PE folks. 

Scary times.  
we sit in the same huge ass room with all the PEers

Oh man TJ ... we didn't.  We had to fight thru a giant reception area tho with them all and got sequestered in a special room.  But in theory would have been exposed just the same.

Oh man TJ ... we didn't.  We had to fight thru a giant reception area tho with them all and got sequestered in a special room.  But in theory would have been exposed just the same.
Is this the Detroit test site? If so, what would you estimate the number of people that got together there?

That's a pic from about two weeks before the tests in October...they had those desks packed to the back of the room.

Back