Cram Practice Test 2 #61

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME->EE

Reaction score
When a motor is directly connected to generator terminals, does that mean that the motor and generator are parallel?  I would've thought they would be in series.

wqwt7u13-7GS1lBStsrbrr0tzrn4gAWEm3cqkbRNn7P8hfskoh3mzDVEDQzpGel2XtLeT3hpr-bithUNKXAQCRpu-dFycewDQ1cOX3b--NgmlwrGNK0OF7qHbZD5hnKhNSmB8OHA

yQVXs0CW9aoOLFPHhjyOKO3hpo1m8IT8lxu_O_TybAhkqhImUm4l5uIdeHbeaXOzYSMGYLZYsUTzJIHUCMvS7Exi65Iupdb0FkTHyA1KkKqYl3rUJqABx7IvAtuZ2m5nHNUA-d2f

No picture so I assume the fault is between the M and G. Looking bach into the system from the fault they are in parallel.

I just did a run of the Cram for Exam Vol 2, and I came across this problem too. Like Dude99 stated, the fault isn't specified, and the solution suggests that the fault is in the middle of the gen-motor connection, since that explains why Zm and Zg are calculated as in parallel.

When a motor is directly connected to generator terminals, does that mean that the motor and generator are parallel?  I would've thought they would be in series.
Think about the sequence diagrams for a generator and motor, and how they are connected. What would they look like if a fault occurred between them?

Also, I imagine the answer should be 0.95 / 0.166j.

Think about the sequence diagrams for a generator and motor, and how they are connected. What would they look like if a fault occurred between them?

Also, I imagine the answer should be 0.95 / 0.166j.
Yes I have fixed this typo in a newer version. The problem should state the voltage is 0.9 (Not 0.95).
But to the other question: If a generator has its terminals connected directly to the motor, why would you think they are in series? There is nothing that can be downstream of the motor.

Back