IEEE Reference Books for PE Power - is it necessary to get the latest editions/years of each?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akyip

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just want to get your opinion on IEEE reference books - do you guys think it's absolutely necessary to get the latest edition/year of an IEEE book if you plan to use it for a reference?

While I was doing questions from the Cram for the PE Exam Volume 3, one of the solutions referenced IEEE 998 as a good reference for lightning.

The latest IEEE 998 from what I see is the 2012 edition, which I don't have access to. However, I am able to get the older 1996 edition.

Do you guys think the older 1996 edition will be sufficient for the PE power exam?

Thank you for any input you have on this!

What reference books do you have now? Do any of them cover lightning? Do you have Graffeo's book? What about the Cram for the PE reference book?

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin's stuff stated it'd be good to have some of the IEEE Color Books and never once did I need them in my studying. I've been curious where he got the info that they're necessary. 

Lightning is such a small portion of the exam. Like 1 question, maybe. If it's covered elsewhere in your texts, I wouldn't bother. 

Agreed. If you already have something that covers the basics of lightning, I wouldn't purchase a book specifically for lightning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is there an angry face here?

Even if it were lighting 💡, the number of problems on the exam is also small. 1-2. And the information from Zach, Justin, or even the old Camara book is sufficient.

They converted all the IEEE color books to standards a few years ago. I am working on collecting them for fun, but i got my lightning protection reference from cedengineering.com/electrical-engineering/protection-systems

I have this book, IEEE green book 1982 version. Is this okay as a reference for grounding and lightning protection? I believe this is the older version. Is this going to be an issue?

image.jpg

Ive never used any of the color books for references at any time for anything.

I have the NPFA 780 standard for lightning protection.
I have that one as well. I used it for a project a few years ago so I just stuck it in my binder with 497/499 and 30B. I haven't needed to use it yet but it's there if I do.

Back