PPI2PASS Question, ME

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scraps 66

Reaction score
I bought the new books for the Machine Design PE, practice problem book and updated MERM.  The practice problems just became available.  Each chapter of the MERM has sections relating to the NCEES Handbook.  They're highlighted in blue.  At the start I thought these were the only sections I needed to study/review, not the entire chapters of the MERM.  Am I wrong and I need to read all of each chapter listed in the study plan?   

Hey, I had the  same question. I've gone through the whole Machine Design Study Plan (just about) and it seems like they want you to study EVERYTHING in the relevant chapters. I think this because some of the questions in the practice exams reference material in non-highlighted (aka not blue) sections. I got the Study Plan which outlines all the chapters of the MERM/MEPP you need to study. Not all chapters are needed for the Machine Design PE test. 

In short, full Chapters should be studied, but not all Chapters in the book need to be studied. The Study Plan tells you which Chapters are relevant to what test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to follow up on this and see what others thought. I came here with the same question.

At the beginning of each chapter, the MERM has a "NCEES Exam Specification and Related Content" section, which lists the sections of that chapter that are specific to each discipline of the Mechanical PE exam. Further, the PPI2Pass study plan states, "the NCEES Exam Specification and Related Content section at the start of the chapters will guide you on which sections are specific to your exam. Other sections and chapters are supportive to the knowledge area on your exam." 

If it was important to study the entire chapter, then why have this language in the study plan? What does it mean for topics to be "supportive to the knowledge area?" I just want to make sure I'm making the best use of my time while also not missing any important topics. Any other input would be appreciated.

Back