Best material for REALLY focusing on Protection for this exam only

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
Hey guys, I feel that Protection isn't pushed as much as it should considering its the largest section. Does anyone have any recommendations to just hammer out problems? I have access to Zach Stone's course, all of ENGR Pro Guides material, blackburn and Glover (and more). I would just like to know if someone has had success with any references that really focuses on Protection problems. 

Hey guys, I feel that Protection isn't pushed as much as it should considering its the largest section. Does anyone have any recommendations to just hammer out problems? I have access to Zach Stone's course, all of ENGR Pro Guides material, blackburn and Glover (and more). I would just like to know if someone has had success with any references that really focuses on Protection problems. 
I would work through every in chapter example in the protection chapter in Glover, then work the end of chapter problems if you can get your hands on the solution manual. Glover is by far my favorite book for practice problems for protection, seems to have the most worked out examples. Most other protection books like Blackburn are more in depth and better at answering qualitative question but lack a significant amount of practice problems. 

@SparkyBill I really like this book. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8120341236/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The author clearly and concisely explains protection topics and works out numerical examples at the end of each topic. He covers the absolute fundamentals of protection, which I haven't seen elsewhere. There are also a lot of questions at the end of each chapter, but I don't know if there is a solutions manual available. There are also practice quizzes at the end of the book.

All this for $30 really isn't bad.

I think this and Blackburn's book go hand-in-hand. Blackburn's book, in my opinion, doesn't cover the basics well enough for someone that has little to no protection experience. However, Blackburn covers more advanced topics that aren't covered in fundamentals books. I think reading Paithankar's book first and then Blackburn's book is the way to go.

Back