Is CA PE more recognized as compared to other state's PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qinjx

Reaction score
The fact that we will have to suffer through 5 more hours of examination and the weeks or even months of associated preparation time to pass Seismic and Survey got me thinking, is CA PE more recognized than the PE you get from other states by just passing the national 8-hour exam?

Im a structural person and the structural part in the 8 hour exam was not really something challenging. I assume it is the same for other disciplines. However in CA specific, I did spend some more effort to study.

I mean the 8-hour is a big and difficult exam by its own right and it is great accomplishment to everyone who prepared and passed, but IMO CA state specific exam is more advanced and closer to actual engineering practice, when compared to 8 hour exam, maybe it is comparable to a MS degree vs. BS degree?

Although I will admit that the things covered in Seismic is probably only 3 - 5% of what you learn from a MS degree in Seismic engineering.

What do you guys think>

Last edited by a moderator:
I am neither a civil, nor am I in CA; following because I'm curious...

But I always assumed that the additional testing was intended to ensure knowledge and compliance with more rigorous building standard (codes?) that I assume CA has due to the threat of earthquakes. And no other state bothers with earthquake proofing buildings. So yeah, a CA PE is more challenging to obtain, but that additional work isn't necessary anywhere else.

In general I get the impression that CA is more prestigious from people.

Californian here. 👋

Yes, we do have to take the additional tests for California licenses due to the stricter seismic codes etc. Where I work, we have an entire department dedicated to seismic design/research, and it's considered for almost everything we do. It's not quite as clear for the Surveying exam, especially since it seems that most licensed PEs should be familiar with the concepts of Surveys (no matter where you live/practice).

I will say that in recent years, it seems like they've tried to make it a little bit easier on us, allowing us to take the exams on a "continuous" basis instead of only twice a year alongside the NCEES exam. I've only recently taken the Surveying exam, but I will say that I felt like it was equally as difficult as the national exam, just in a different way. That's just me, though.

One thing I'm curious about is how many people take the California state-specific exams who aren't in California, and why? 

In a strict sense, a California PE isn't recognized at all by any of the other state boards--and definitely not recognized if you're doing structural work in Hawaii or Illinois.

Now, whether having a California Civil PE license greases the wheels in a comity application elsewhere (vis-a-vis a "civil" PE license from another state)--that's a question that can have literally dozens of answers.  

Here's the rub:  Because California only requires two years of work experience to sit for the exam, you can very well be a licensed PE in California and not meet the minimum requirements in most every other state. 

Here's the rub:  Because California only requires two years of work experience to sit for the exam, you can very well be a licensed PE in California and not meet the minimum requirements in most every other state. 
Yes, absolutely true. Also, I'm not sure if other states have requirements for hours of engineering-related training/classes to keep your license renewed. California doesn't, so that may be another difference.

Yes, absolutely true. Also, I'm not sure if other states have requirements for hours of engineering-related training/classes to keep your license renewed. California doesn't, so that may be another difference.
Both good points. My understanding is that most (all?) states review comity applications against their individual state PE requirements. So if you're a CA PE with 3 years of work experience and no continuing education hours, then many states would probably reject regardless of the additional testing. That being said, if a non-CA firm needed a seismic expert, they would probably value a CA PE very highly.

I think you guys are so special I even suggested that you should have your own separate prep forum lol

The fact that we will have to suffer through 5 more hours of examination and the weeks or even months of associated preparation time to pass Seismic and Survey got me thinking, is CA PE more recognized than the PE you get from other states by just passing the national 8-hour exam?

Im a structural person and the structural part in the 8 hour exam was not really something challenging. I assume it is the same for other disciplines. However in CA specific, I did spend some more effort to study.

I mean the 8-hour is a big and difficult exam by its own right and it is great accomplishment to everyone who prepared and passed, but IMO CA state specific exam is more advanced and closer to actual engineering practice, when compared to 8 hour exam, maybe it is comparable to a MS degree vs. BS degree?

Although I will admit that the things covered in Seismic is probably only 3 - 5% of what you learn from a MS degree in Seismic engineering.

What do you guys think>
I think that if you or your company intend to practice engineering in the state of California then yes.  For those of use not in or practicing in California, not really.   The value is really only in being able to practice engineering in the jurisdictions you are working in.

Back