NCEES Record during Grad School

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kanienkeha4

Reaction score
tl;dr: Do I intentionally leave a gap in my NCEES record for the first year I spent in grad school (8/2015 to 8/2016)? What about the other year and a half I spent working while going to school?

Looking for someone who worked as an engineer during grad school and has a complete NCEES Record (seems like most people here). Not sure if this is specific to Colorado, but DORA evidently doesn't allow you to "double dip" work experience at the same time as grad school, but only considers a graduate degree as "one year of experience." I've asked DORA these questions, and they're mildly useless, saying just follow NCEES' direction. Well I read the FAQ's and I'm still not crystal clear, and I really don't want to stretch this out any further. NCEES isn't currently raising a red flag about how my Work Experience entries are overlapping my grad school timeline, but I'm assuming DORA will when the time comes. Any advice is much appreciated.

Maybe illustrating my particular case will help give some context here...

1/2012-7/2015: Job #1 full-time

8/2015-5/2016: Job #1 part-time + grad school full-time (semesters 1 & 2)

6/2016-7/2016: Job #1 full-time

8/2016-5/2017: Job #1 part-time + grad school full-time (semesters 3 & 4)

6/2017-9/2017: Job #2 full-time + (leave of absence from grad school)

10/2017-8/2019: Job #3 full-time + grad school part-time (semester 5). Finished degree somewhere in there.

Are you claiming a graduate degree as part of your experience requirement? If not then it doesn't matter so long as you have four years (full time) or progressive engineering experience. It looks like you have 3.5 yr, x, x, x, 0.25 yr, ~2 yr so you're all set for at least four years.

The Boards only care if you are double dipping work experience and graduate school for  the same time period. I would *think* that you can just keep it simple and list the periods of full time and part time employment, and not try to claim the graduate degree as part of the experience requirement.

Back