Looking for Advice

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sufean

Reaction score
Have been lurking here for the past few weeks and I wanted to create an account and say Hello finally.

I moved to the US 3 years ago. I have a BS in Mechanical engineering from overseas, and I've worked over 10 years in power plants. Since I moved to the US, I studied and passed the EIT and recently passed my PE test (Mechanical - HVAC). I live in southern California – Santa Ana area and looking for an internship (paid or unpaid) to develop myself and gain experience in the US. I’m looking for your help (guidance and direction) if you can help me to get myself back in the field that I enjoy. Here is my email [email protected]

Have been lurking here for the past few weeks and I wanted to create an account and say Hello finally.

I moved to the US 3 years ago. I have a BS in Mechanical engineering from overseas, and I've worked over 10 years in power plants. Since I moved to the US, I studied and passed the EIT and recently passed my PE test (Mechanical - HVAC). I live in southern California – Santa Ana area and looking for an internship (paid or unpaid) to develop myself and gain experience in the US. I’m looking for your help (guidance and direction) if you can help me to get myself back in the field that I enjoy. Here is my email [email protected]
Suf, have you been designing mechanical systems in power plants?  My company designs small cogen plants and we have an office in Southern California.

Changing fields/industries can definitely be tough, but with 10 years of experience and PE exam under your belt, you definitely should not be looking for an unpaid internship. Rather you should be able to get a decent job (something above entry level). If you're having trouble getting something, it may have to do with messaging and how your frame your previous experience. Just because your previous work was in a different field, doesn't mean that many of the same skills aren't directly transferable... for example: problem solving, design trade studies, requirements assessment, etc (just making up some examples). 

Spend some time Googling advice for people changing careers (I know you're not doing a complete career change, but much of the advice will apply), and if you still need help, consider working with a career coach. But I don't think starting from the bottom as an intern is right for you; you're way over qualified.

Suf, have you been designing mechanical systems in power plants?  My company designs small cogen plants and we have an office in Southern California.
my apologies for the delayed answer. No, I haven't. However I am keep reviewing the design specifications and drawings for the power plants. Right now I am working as operator engineer in cogen plant. One of my dreams is to work as designer. I am ready to work as volunteer for six months at the beginning so they can evaluate me to stay or not. I am eager to learn and have many skills to be successful. Thank you in advance for your help.     

Changing fields/industries can definitely be tough, but with 10 years of experience and PE exam under your belt, you definitely should not be looking for an unpaid internship. Rather you should be able to get a decent job (something above entry level). If you're having trouble getting something, it may have to do with messaging and how your frame your previous experience. Just because your previous work was in a different field, doesn't mean that many of the same skills aren't directly transferable... for example: problem solving, design trade studies, requirements assessment, etc (just making up some examples). 

Spend some time Googling advice for people changing careers (I know you're not doing a complete career change, but much of the advice will apply), and if you still need help, consider working with a career coach. But I don't think starting from the bottom as an intern is right for you; you're way over qualified.
Thank you for your reply.  

Back