Harmonics Practice Problem Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BebeshKing PE

THIS IS THE WAY
Reaction score
Hello, I need help for the answer, solution and explanation for this kind of Harmonic Problem. Thanks.

A three-phase, four wire balanced wye-connected load is connected to a balanced three-phase four wire source. The following harmonic data is recorded:

Order

Frequency

RMS amps measured per phase

Assume no harmonics of higher order than the ninth are present. What would be the RMS current measured in the neutral?

[Nonsense answer]

Last edited by a moderator:
@Chattaneer PE, thank you for your solution. I just have a few questions though:

1. Is it the total harmonic current(including the positive and negative sequence) flowing into the neutral? 

2. Should it be just the triplen harmonics(zero sequence) which is the 3rd and 9th harmonics will contribute to the neutral conductor?

3. Based on Wildi’s book, these triplen harmonics adds up in the neutral and 3 times greater.
So I would assume that the harmonic current in the neutral is 3(3rd harmonics  plus 9th harmonics) = 3(100+10)=330A??

I’m not really sure and I’m confuse, that’s why I needed help with you guys.😓. Please see attached the reference from Wildi. 

thank you,

29333E57-C331-4F88-8731-7F7A2BC1885D.jpeg

@Chattaneer PE, thank you for your solution. I just have a few questions though:

1. Is it the total harmonic current(including the positive and negative sequence) flowing into the neutral? 

2. Should it be just the triplen harmonics(zero sequence) which is the 3rd and 9th harmonics will contribute to the neutral conductor?

3. Based on Wildi’s book, these triplen harmonics adds up in the neutral and 3 times greater.
So I would assume that the harmonic current in the neutral is 3(3rd harmonics  plus 9th harmonics) = 3(100+10)=330A??

I’m not really sure and I’m confuse, that’s why I needed help with you guys.😓. Please see attached the reference from Wildi. 
1. This doesn't have anything to do with symmetrical components (positive, negative, zero sequence).

2. I was taught it was the odd order harmonics, not just the triplen.

3. Idk where he gets "three times" from, but there's no way it's three times.

Can you send the next couple of paragraphs for that section of his book? I'll also check some books I have here in a little bit.

@BebeshKing

After some reading, I brushed up on the harmonics from a few books.

1. The square root of the sum of the RMS currents squared is the total rms of the current (not in the neutral). So if you needed to calculate Irms per phase including harmonics, use this formula.
  2. For a balanced load, the fundamental, even, and odd cancel out in the neutral, except the triplen.
  3. The triplen (3, 9, 15, etc.) are 3x the RMS in the neutral, because each phase is additive.
So I think what you had, 3*(100 + 10) = 330 A is correct.

What's the name of your book (the one with the page 1409)?  I have Wildi, Graffeo, Blackburn and Glover.  Glover doesn't even cover harmonics that I can see.  

What's the name of your book (the one with the page 1409)?  I have Wildi, Graffeo, Blackburn and Glover.  Glover doesn't even cover harmonics that I can see.  
Standard handbook for electrical engineers, 17th edition.

I don't know if I've heard of anyone having that book.  Do you recommend it?
I'm going through it now. It covers a lot of topics. I wish I had bought it before I took the exam. From what I've seen, it appears it could be a great reference for the exam.

I have two books, Power Systems Analysis (Grainger) and a protection book by Blackburn.  Both of those are very difficult for me to read.  I have the Glover book and I really like it so far, but I haven't delved into the problems that much, plus I have the 6th edition and no solution manual.

I have two books, Power Systems Analysis (Grainger) and a protection book by Blackburn.  Both of those are very difficult for me to read.  I have the Glover book and I really like it so far, but I haven't delved into the problems that much, plus I have the 6th edition and no solution manual.
@MEtoEE, I have the same references as yours too. So far, I like the Glover for the protection topics, Grianger for the Transmission lines, and Wildi for the Machine.

@Chattaneer PE, does the Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers reference has plenty sample/practice problems?

@MEtoEE, I have the same references as yours too. So far, I like the Glover for the protection topics, Grianger for the Transmission lines, and Wildi for the Machine.

@Chattaneer PE, does the Standard Handbook for Electrical Engineers reference has plenty sample/practice problems?
It doesn't have any practice problems.

Back