I am a License PE now.. how do i make more money?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As the title suggest im stuck in a job that really doesnt do engineering , well kind of. They want me to sign and seal shop drawings for them but doesnt really discuss salary, and not comfortable with that any tips that i could do on my own to make money? I dont have experience opening my own business any tips i would really appreciate that

As the title suggest im stuck in a job that really doesnt do engineering , well kind of. They want me to sign and seal shop drawings for them but doesnt really discuss salary, and not comfortable with that any tips that i could do on my own to make money? I dont have experience opening my own business any tips i would really appreciate that
I would just talk to whomever is over you and tell them because of the increased liability you're taking on by signing and sealing drawings, you require a salary increase.

Putting your seal on plans might not be a big deal to some, but we engineers know we are assuming responsibility for designs we sign. With more responsibility and liability should come more money.

Last edited by a moderator:
The easiest way is going to be what Chattaneer stated. Hopefully, your boss sees the same thing you do and gives you the raise you want or close to it.

On the other hand, your boss might not think you deserve a raise for a variety of reasons. In that case, don’t be afraid to look around and see what opportunities are out there. LinkedIn is a great resource and recruiters on there can typically set you up with multiple companies, maybe even some you’re not familiar with. At the very least, you can make professional connections and see what your market worth is.

Whatever you do, think twice about whoring your stamp out to random people or contractors. "Rubber stamping" has the potential to get you in trouble. You need to truly have control over the design work you are certifying, not just simply glancing it over and stamping it. I see this stuff all the time from PEs who are just looking to make extra money. I am sure that some of them are doing a good job, but I see several who stamp so many plans that I know there is no way they are truly in responsible charge of the design work, and they are eventually going to find themselves as non-PEs. 

Whatever you do, think twice about whoring your stamp out to random people or contractors. "Rubber stamping" has the potential to get you in trouble. You need to truly have control over the design work you are certifying, not just simply glancing it over and stamping it. I see this stuff all the time from PEs who are just looking to make extra money. I am sure that some of them are doing a good job, but I see several who stamp so many plans that I know there is no way they are truly in responsible charge of the design work, and they are eventually going to find themselves as non-PEs. 
sry, not sry, read that as "think twice about whoring yourself out,' and I was like, 'but side hustles would help them make more money?'

Build yourself a structurally sound stripper pole.  They will come.

Back