NEC Question from CI 300 drill book question 31

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it could be XHWN as well... The only difference is the outer covering, but the question didn't specify.IMG_20200109_204731.jpg

Let's make sure we're using the same year:

For the April exam, NCEES is going test based on the 2017 NEC.  From your photos, it looks like you do.  Is the CI Code drill book you're using the most recent volume?  It should say it's basing their questions on the 2017 NEC.  

I'm sure you've checked this already, but I'm just asking since anything shaded in "gray" indicates where the code has changed.

Since the question only asks for moisture-resistant thermoset @ 600V and 167F, there are multiple options. I don't think the question provides enough information.

Let's make sure we're using the same year:

For the April exam, NCEES is going test based on the 2017 NEC.  From your photos, it looks like you do.  Is the CI Code drill book you're using the most recent volume?  It should say it's basing their questions on the 2017 NEC.  

I'm sure you've checked this already, but I'm just asking since anything shaded in "gray" indicates where the code has changed.
3rd edition of the drill book is based on 2017 NEC (I have it in front of me)

SB, I agree with Chatt. There isn't enough info here. And plus, as you know the exam is multiple choice. Whereas this nonsense isn't but at least it is giving you more practice flipping around the code.

But yeah, there's 3 answers for this question. 

Since older editions of the NEC were mentioned, I checked the table in NEC 2002 just to be sure. XHWN isn't listed (probably not introduced until NEC 2017), but the other two options are still there.

image.png

image.png

I have the second edition code drill problems which is based off the 2014. I use the 2017 NEC to answer them. I also have a PDF copy of the 2014 HB NEC to check myself if the answer "isn't int he 2017". 

Back