NCEES in lieu of Engagement Records and References Form?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

structard

Reaction score
Question regarding to the California Professional Civil Engineer Application:

If applying with an NCEES Record to cover the License/Exam Verification then do you still need to submit college transcripts and the Engagement Record and Reference Form?

It's confusing because the checklist on the cover of the application only lists the NCEES Record exemption for License/Exam Verification but not for the other two I mentioned.  However, in Section 2 of the application there is language which seems to indicate that the exemption applies to at least the Engagement Record and Reference Form. 

I have called CA bpelsg but they have not gotten back to me.  Any insight from those of you who have applied using your NCEES Record would be much appreciated.  College transcripts and the reference form are a pain, particularly because I just got done tracking both down for the NCEES Record.  Don't want to annoy my references unnecessarily.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to submit a completed 3 page application form.  At the top of that form, one of the checkboxes is "A complete NCEES Council Record has been ordered"  You will need to check this box if you intend to rely upon a (Council) Record to be sent to the California Board in lieu of the reference and engagement forms that the Board normally requires.  You should note that sometimes, the Record is not sufficient to meet the California licensing requirements, so additional engagement/reference forms may need to be submitted afterwards if there are any deficiencies noted by the Board.

If the college transcript is included within the NCEES Record, that will be sufficient.

EDIT:  You still need to list your engagements/references on page 2 of the 3 page application form.

Thanks for the reply @CAPLS.

I did exactly as you suggest above.  I checked the "A complete NCEES Council Record has been ordered" box and filled out the reference form in Section 2.  I'll wait and see what they say once they have reviewed it.

Well I was approved today to sit for the exams.  That answers my question. 

For those reading this in the future, if you submit a complete NCEES record with your application then you do not need to fill out the Engagement Record and Reference Form or submit separate college transcripts.  Obviously CA could possibly review your NCEES record and deem it insufficient for their purposes.  In that case they would probably ask you to submit the form...

Thanks for sharing, structard.  This will be helpful if I ever have to obtain a California license.  

I know of at least one board (Illinois SE Board) that does not accept work experience listed in an NCEES Record, and makes you document all your work experience on their form.  It's nice to know that the NCEES Record serves its purpose in most states.  😉

Thanks for sharing, structard.  This will be helpful if I ever have to obtain a California license.  

I know of at least one board (Illinois SE Board) that does not accept work experience listed in an NCEES Record, and makes you document all your work experience on their form.  It's nice to know that the NCEES Record serves its purpose in most states.  😉
Illinois is just special in so many ways.

Well I was approved today to sit for the exams. That answers my question.

For those reading this in the future, if you submit a complete NCEES record with your application then you do not need to fill out the Engagement Record and Reference Form or submit separate college transcripts. Obviously CA could possibly review your NCEES record and deem it insufficient for their purposes. In that case they would probably ask you to submit the form...
hello , i am almost in your case summited NCEES record , but my contact persons in the ncees experence are not licensed engineers . but there are four references are licensed engineers in the record . is this enough ?
thank you

Back