Experience Write-up for Bridge Inspection

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CairnNY

Reaction score
I am trying to transfer my Maine PE license to New York State, but I have been having trouble getting my write-up through the NY board of education. Last time I applied (September 2017) they wrote back that they wanted to see two more years of experience (which is why I drove to Maine to take the exam.) Since September 2017, I worked for about one and a half years doing construction management and 8 months as an ATL (Assistant Team Lead) on a bridge inspection team. 

In all honesty, I do not feel like most of the work that I have done is really engineering but I am being advised to just re-submit the application to see where I stand. In my current position, I feel like 70% of what I do is hit concrete with a hammer (sounding concrete), and 30% is simple CAD sketches...The only design work that I have done in my current position is some load calculations for a bridge repair jacking but it probably adds up to 0.001% of my time in the last 8 months...

My supervisor is a PE (as required by NYS law) but he said that when he applied for his PE years ago, he had to temporarily transfer to our structures group for 2 years before they let him sit for the exam.

Does anyone have any advice on buzz words or examples of PE write-ups for bridge inspection that they could share? I would really like to avoid transferring laterally in my current agency just to transfer my license from Maine, and then transfer again when I want to take a promotion. 

Thanks!

I am trying to transfer my Maine PE license to New York State, but I have been having trouble getting my write-up through the NY board of education. Last time I applied (September 2017) they wrote back that they wanted to see two more years of experience (which is why I drove to Maine to take the exam.) Since September 2017, I worked for about one and a half years doing construction management and 8 months as an ATL (Assistant Team Lead) on a bridge inspection team.

In all honesty, I do not feel like most of the work that I have done is really engineering but I am being advised to just re-submit the application to see where I stand. In my current position, I feel like 70% of what I do is hit concrete with a hammer (sounding concrete), and 30% is simple CAD sketches...The only design work that I have done in my current position is some load calculations for a bridge repair jacking but it probably adds up to 0.001% of my time in the last 8 months...

My supervisor is a PE (as required by NYS law) but he said that when he applied for his PE years ago, he had to temporarily transfer to our structures group for 2 years before they let him sit for the exam.

Does anyone have any advice on buzz words or examples of PE write-ups for bridge inspection that they could share? I would really like to avoid transferring laterally in my current agency just to transfer my license from Maine, and then transfer again when I want to take a promotion.

Thanks!
I had to jump through similar loops when transferring my Wisconsin PE to Illinois, so I share the feelings with you.

For a write up on bridge inspection, I would be specific on the types of inspections and reference specific criteria. For example, "I perform routine, element level, fracture critical, etc. bridge inspections in accordance with NBIS, DOT, and AASHTO guidelines". From my experience with state boards as well as NCEES, they like seeing codes being referenced.

I would also mention that you develop Bridge Condition Reports, load ratings, DOT required forms, etc. (if applicable). Again, mention that these are developed in accordance with whatever standard applicable.

Talk about how you focus on areas of the bridge that in a high shear or moment region. This shows them that you have engineering knowledge.

Lastly, talk about any coordination that you may had to do with any entity: railroad, traffic control, bucket truck rentals, etc.

I hope that helps a little and good luck.

Back