Study Schedule & Number of Hours

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aiden

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am curious how did everyone approach to studying the seismic and surveyng exam and the number of hours. Any informaton is helpful. I just want to get a good gauge on different study methods and and dedicated study time, although I know it varies from different individuals. Thank you in advance!

I am planning to take it end of April. This gives me 16 weeks to study.

I had separated out a month for Survery and about 40 days for Seismic. I dedicated 4-5 hours per day on the weekend and may be an hour on average per day over the weekdays. I self studied with EET book for the survey and took the EET seismic course and fortunately was able to pass in the first go but I was definitely doubtful on the survey.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Seismic:

I used the Hiner workbook. Studied 2-3 hours everyday after work (with 1 day break). Studied ~5 hours on Saturday and ~5 hours on Sunday.

Did this for 5 weeks. Passed.

For Survey:

I used the Reza workbook. Studied exactly the same hours and duration as above. Passed.

Survey: I did all problems in CPESR reference manual from my colleague and 120 Solved Surveying Problem of Peter R.Boniface, Civil Surveying sample exams of Peter R., also skimmed through Civil Surveying workshop of Reza. For me, Reza's problems are too difficult, so I gave up, just did the theory questions.

Actually, CPESR manual is a big helps, it boost my confidence and explain the concept of surveying better than others.  During exam I only used CPESR manual, the other materials are not convenient to flip.  

I studied 1h everyday for 1 month. 

Seismic: just used Hinder book for the same amount of time but since I'm working in structure so seismic is more familiar. 

Both passed for 1st time trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Seismic I studied about 1 month. I took Heiners webinar, 3 other practice exams and spent more time reviewing, highlighting and marking the materials for the exam (This was key, being fast to find over your references during the exam is the best recommendation I can give you). I'd say in total I spent about 100 hours.

For Surveying I used Reza's book and webinar. I studied 10 full days, so a total of approx 80-90 hours.

A big issue related to how much time you need to study is your background. I've been working in civil design for a while, so my background helped me specially for the Seismic exam (Although in my country a different code is used, design basis are the same).

Passed both at first try on the same month!

Good luck!

Back