Survey Exam - Public Lands?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plainjane

Reaction score
Based on a lot of the studying materials that are currently out there, I'm seeing a lot of information about Public Lands Surveys. However, I've heard that they're not included on the test anymore. Is that the case? I've looked at past and present test plans and they don't specifically call out Public Land Surveys, but I don't want to not study the topic if it's going to end up on the exam. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on a lot of the studying materials that are currently out there, I'm seeing a lot of information about Public Land Surveys. However, I've heard that they're not included on the test anymore. Is that the case? I've looked at past and present test plans and they don't specifically call out Public Land Surveys, but I don't want to not study the topic if it's going to end up on the exam. 
You should rely on the published test plan specifications posted on the California Board's web site for what topics to expect to be encountered on the California Board's examination.  Any study materials that include topics outside of that are can only be based on that author's own interpretation of the California examination and is not an official representation like the published test plan specifications are.

Additionally, the published test plan specifications should be consistent with the laws/rules that define the practice.  In this case, Section 6731.1 of the Business and Professions Code.

You should rely on the published test plan specifications posted on the California Board's web site for what topics to expect to be encountered on the California Board's examination.  Any study materials that include topics outside of that are can only be based on that author's own interpretation of the California examination and is not an official representation like the published test plan specifications are.

Additionally, the published test plan specifications should be consistent with the laws/rules that define the practice.  In this case, Section 6731.1 of the Business and Professions Code.
Right, so I looked at test plans for the current exam as well as previous exams. What I'm saying is that none of them specified Public Lands, however I believe it has been included on the exam in the past. I'm looking for someone who has taken the exam recently to confirm or deny that this topic is included on recent exams.

Right, so I looked at test plans for the current exam as well as previous exams. What I'm saying is that none of them specified Public Lands, however I believe it has been included on the exam in the past. I'm looking for someone who has taken the exam recently to confirm or deny that this topic is included on recent exams.
Whether it was included in past exams (and superficially it was) or not should not be a concern.  Laws may change or processes may catch up and modernize.  I can confirm to you that the exam includes exactly what it specified in the test plan specifications posted on the California Board's website.  No more, no less.

Whether it was included in past exams (and superficially it was) or not should not be a concern.  Laws may change or processes may catch up and modernize.  I can confirm to you that the exam includes exactly what it specified in the test plan specifications posted on the California Board's website.  No more, no less.
I know you're trying to help, but your responses are more or less telling me what I already know. 

If anyone else can give any indication of whether or not Public Lands are included on the current exam (since it doesn't explicitly say in the test plan), I would be very grateful.

I know you're trying to help, but your responses are more or less telling me what I already know. 

If anyone else can give any indication of whether or not Public Lands are included on the current exam (since it doesn't explicitly say in the test plan), I would be very grateful.
FYI, people have had their licenses revoked for revealing a single question from a PE exam in an anonymous forum. No one can tell you the information you're requesting without putting their license in danger.

FYI, people have had their licenses revoked for revealing a single question from a PE exam in an anonymous forum. No one can tell you the information you're requesting without putting their license in danger.
I didn't think that asking about a general topic was specific enough to be an issue. Thanks for the heads up.

Back