Manning's Equation Question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as the exam is concerned, I only ever used DW for closed pipe, and HW for open channel flow...might be oversimplifying it, but that's what comes to mind at the moment.

Edit: also mechanicals rarely use HW, at least in my experience. Also, DW is good for gases and other stuff besides water. HW is water only, I believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
For pipe flow, you can use either. It would just be about what you're given in a problem. 

For example:

f = 0.015 - definitely Darcy-Weisbach

C = 120 - definitely Hazen-Williams

For pipe flow, you can use either. It would just be about what you're given in a problem. 

For example:

f = 0.0015 - definitely Darcy-Weisbach

C = 120 - definitely Hazen-Williams
Neat! Elegant way of putting this. You're the hero EB needs, not the one it deserves. :rotflmao:

How do you know when to use Hazen - Williams vs the Darcy-Weisbach equation? 
Also, another "trick" I learned was that even if not given, you can kinda-sorta-maybe get away with just assuming f=0.02 if it's water problem and proceed with solving DW. Be super careful about using this assumption, but if you're lucky, it might save you a few steps and a nice trick to keep in your back pocket. I used it once or twice, caveat emptor.

Also, another "trick" I learned was that even if not given, you can kinda-sorta-maybe get away with just assuming f=0.02 if it's water problem and proceed with solving DW. Be super careful about using this assumption, but if you're lucky, it might save you a few steps and a nice trick to keep in your back pocket. I used it once or twice, caveat emptor.
yeah I have this written into my notes. 

if i'm given both f and C, I will use both to solve for the answer and review the options to select the available answer. that's the conclusion I needed to get to. I thought I was missing some other small elemental detail but @Will.I.Am PE confirmed that it's an either/or scenario.

another PE?
Electrical - Power. I explained it in the Power thread (no expectation for you to read all that), but basically I R super, super bad at strategy and I don't qualify for the license at this time. Buuuuut, I *DO* qualify for the electrical if I pass the stupid exam so...I'm still going to be around (and I'm basically doing it to make more money, stupid CA real estate pricing cleaned me out). Aaaanyway, you have another study buddy. You can do it! Go! Go! @civilrobot

Electrical - Power. I explained it in the Power thread (no expectation for you to read all that), but basically I R super, super bad at strategy and I don't qualify for the license at this time. Buuuuut, I *DO* qualify for the electrical if I pass the stupid exam so...I'm still going to be around (and I'm basically doing it to make more money, stupid CA real estate pricing cleaned me out). Aaaanyway, you have another study buddy. You can do it! Go! Go! @civilrobot
this is amazing!! i'll head over to power to read about it.

Back