Complex Imaginary 300 question Drill book *QUESTION*

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
Hey guys, drill problem number 5 ask "An electric space-heating cable whose lead wire has been marked with the color brown is permitted to be used on what circuit voltage?". The naser in back says answer is found at 424.35(4). In my handbook 424.35 doesn't have a (1)-(4). Does anyone know if an errata of this book exist? I couldn't find it. Or if this is correct and I'm ignorant please help me. 

I found my answer myself, this was in the 2014 not the 2017...great....I'm looking for something that doesn't exist...

Anyways, does anyone know if they released a document that shows the difference between the NFPA 2014 and the 2017 that would change their book? Otherwise it's pretty frustrating wasting time looking for something that doesn't exist to end up frustrated. It's making me "skip to look for answer" if I don't find it in 6 minutes or less because I'm afraid the answer simply isn't in my book. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's something I don't like about CI.

I bought the 2017 version of the practice exams from someone here and like 80% of the questions are identical to the 2011 version I already had - just the NEC questions were updated to the newer code and a few questions were different.

Honestly, I doubt some sort of "errata" exists from CI. They never responded to my email asking about changes between their editions.

I still did the old NEC problems and used it as an opportunity to get more familiar with the NEC - noting what CI (or whatever problem set I had, a lot of my stuff was old) had done and then writing what the updated answer was. 

You are so far ahead of the game SB, don't worry about the NEC problems taking longer at this point and use the time to get familiar with the NEC. When you take Zach's live class, his NEC homework problems will take you a lot longer than 6 minutes so you might as well get used to it now. 

You are so far ahead of the game SB,
What does SB mean? And yes I am learning more, and each problem I'm writing "2014" when its not in my dang book. My goal is to work thru the book twice. So on my second go through in a few months I will KNOW to skip the problems that say 2014. And whoever buys this book from me will hit the lottery not wasting their time. 

I"m excited for Zach's course to start, I'm even more excited just to see how prepared I can get before the class even starts. I have been studying like crazy!

What does SB mean? And yes I am learning more, and each problem I'm writing "2014" when its not in my dang book. My goal is to work thru the book twice. So on my second go through in a few months I will KNOW to skip the problems that say 2014. And whoever buys this book from me will hit the lottery not wasting their time. 

I"m excited for Zach's course to start, I'm even more excited just to see how prepared I can get before the class even starts. I have been studying like crazy!
SB = SparkyBill. I'm lazy

I don't think you should skip them, it's extra practice. I'd write the updated answer in the back for when you get there during the 2nd pass. But that's just me. 

SB = SparkyBill. I'm lazy

I don't think you should skip them, it's extra practice. I'd write the updated answer in the back for when you get there during the 2nd pass. But that's just me. 
I don't see how its extra practice, like I can't do them. Luckily for me I had access to the NEC 2014 HB edition so I could "Make sure im not crazy". But it would say something like "If you have an electric heater, and you have a brown conductor, what is the rating of the conductor" but that isn't anywhere in the 2017 edition. They literally deleted that "color chart" from 2017. So I spent like 30 minutes looking for a color chart that didn't exist. :(

I don't see how its extra practice, like I can't do them. Luckily for me I had access to the NEC 2014 HB edition so I could "Make sure im not crazy". But it would say something like "If you have an electric heater, and you have a brown conductor, what is the rating of the conductor" but that isn't anywhere in the 2017 edition. They literally deleted that "color chart" from 2017. So I spent like 30 minutes looking for a color chart that didn't exist. :(
Ah, didn't realize it had be deleted completely. 

Back