HELP! I hate this NFPA 70E, how can I get better at searching

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky Bill PE

Senior, Master, Professional, Licensed Electrical
Reaction score
So far I have worked through the NEC and the NESC. Both of them make sense, and have a useful table of contents and index. This code for 70E is crap. I can not find any answers when studying. I am using electrical PE review course and taking a quiz, but also using outside testing materials. I can't think of an intuitive way to use this standard at all. It's written like a "book" that u simply have to read the entire thing to find the answer to 1 question. Does anyone know if there is a cheat sheet, or a PDF someone has made before that makes this standard easier? I'm going crazy!!

Its gonna be 1, maybe 2 questions on the exam so i wouldnt fret too much

Its gonna be 1, maybe 2 questions on the exam so i wouldnt fret too much
Just seems like that should be the questions that you shouldn't miss. I can understand missing a long calculation protection problem that is meant to be hard. But it drives me insane to think I would miss a problem that is somewhere in this book. :(

I just looked I have the yellow title page cover. I think that's the codebook b/c the handbook looks like it has a grey cover. 

First I would say don’t overthink 70e, it mainly covers shock and arc flash prevention/protection. Apply common sense to the questions. I doubt they get too detailed. I would skim the info in an Ugly’s reference manual regarding electrical safety. That is the kind of basic info that you need to be familiar with. 

I just looked I have the yellow title page cover. I think that's the codebook b/c the handbook looks like it has a grey cover. 
I borrowed the handbook version. I don't remember it sticking out as hard to go through.

Back