April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep - Page 12 - Power Exam Sub Forum - Engineer Boards
Jump to content
Engineer Boards
Chattaneer PE

April/October 2020 Power PE Exam Prep

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, daydreambeliever said:

I would maybe just talk to someone at the front desk of the library and let them know what you are doing. Once they see the spread you have they should understand why you needed a suitcase :laugh:

I like to take practice exams at my office. We have conference/training rooms with setups similar to the exam site. I am using a carry on suitcase to carry my references around. I may upgrade to a full size suitcase though. I like having all of my references completely protected. I had an experience last year or the year before when it was pouring rain on test day and my stuff was stored in a rolling crate. NEVER AGAIN!!!!

So far I have taken 2 timed tests. Both Complex Imaginary. I scored around a 70 on both. The last one I took I left a few of my references at home (thus the need for the full size suitcase) and I know I could have answered 4 or 5 more questions with those references. Still not feeling great even if I had gotten those 4 or 5 additional questions correct. The CI exams are too simple so to feel comfortable I think I should be scoring 85+

We passed the flu around in our house last week so I'm a little behind. Trying to catch up this week and plan on taking a timed test this weekend. I'm thinking I'll give one of the Cram for the PE exams a go or Eng Pro Guide.

How have you guys scored on the Complex Imaginary exams. With the scores I've gotten I really need to buckle down.  

I took CI #1 at the end of the 1st week in January and scored 63/80 (79%).  

Hang in there.  We have 2 months left, so just start back taking timed tests and make indexes/lists on topics you're struggling with.  You're in my class right?  Feel free to ask me about the any of the homework/end of week problems you're struggling with.  His are pretty good in my opinion.  Cram for PE is a good practice exam to take.  I know there are 4 out there but I only have the first one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, daydreambeliever said:

 

(thus the need for the full size suitcase) and I know I could have answered 4 or 5 more questions with those references. Still not feeling great even if I had gotten those 4 or 5 additional questions correct.

Welp, I was already going to take everything. I am FOR SURE taking everything now. Seems silly not too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, SparkyBill said:

Welp, I was already going to take everything. I am FOR SURE taking everything now. Seems silly not too. 

There's no reason not to take something if you've read through it, have a good index or at least put some tabs in so you know where to find something when needed.  

There will definitely be a few books you'll bring that you never use.  That happens to all of us.  I'd rather have 3 books I never use than have one I didn't bring and wish I had it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I brought a 100lb suitcase with me.  I work in a utility office and have many old books that I found to be useful on the exam.  There are enough "oddball" questions that I thought it's better to bring everything than leave something behind.  You never know if you pass by 1 question or 10, I found one question on the exam in one of my old books that I should've likely never brought to the exam, but I did.  

 

I had books everywhere, on my table, under my seat, next to my seat, no one complained and proctors didn't say anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone should print this out and put it in the cover sleeve of a binder lol

Difference-between-current-and-voltage.png.4ddfc16a7b2c828d24a9042b7d03d417.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Chattaneer PE said:

Someone should print this out and put it in the cover sleeve of a binder lol

Difference-between-current-and-voltage.png.4ddfc16a7b2c828d24a9042b7d03d417.png

lol beat me to it!  I have the drawing on the right printed out already.  The plastic covers on the binders I used had plain sheets of paper inserted and labeled such as "NEC Code Info" or "Eng Pro Guides Practice Exams".  My consolidated binder with all my combined sections and notes is called "THE BINDER" lol.

I was going to take that drawing on the right and use it for one of my binders to see how many looks/laughs I get.

Someone should use it as their avatar lol.

Edited by MEtoEE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just be careful guys. I think inserting sheets to the plastic cover binder is not a good idea. The papers should be bounded/attached to the binder. That's my perception, atleast. :) 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BebeshKing said:

Just be careful guys. I think inserting sheets to the plastic cover binder is not a good idea. The papers should be bounded/attached to the binder. That's my perception, atleast. :) 

 

I saw others doing it and none of my proctors ever mentioned it.  A lot of these binders come with a cover sheet already inside the plastic cover.  I just replaced it with something I could identify easily.  You can also buy them without the cover and just write on them with a sharpie.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The wording is important
FAULT power...NOT total input power

obviously the xfmr has losses but input P = fault + losses

output = fault

therefore the FAULT P component is the same on both sides but total in vs out is not

 

another take: inf bus Z source = 0, ie, no Vdrop

input P=1/pu Z, no drop means output P =1/pu Z AVAILABLE

the losses are still fault P supplied by the source, even if the bolted fault Z=0 meaning all fault P is dissipated in the xfmr itself

On 1/31/2020 at 11:12 AM, Swift Fox said:

The answer to the questions is D. What I don't understand is why the transformer impedance and transformer rating doesn't cause a change in fault power on the low side?

 

Edited by Dude99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2020 at 10:52 AM, MEtoEE said:

I took CI #1 at the end of the 1st week in January and scored 63/80 (79%).  

Hang in there.  We have 2 months left, so just start back taking timed tests and make indexes/lists on topics you're struggling with.  You're in my class right?  Feel free to ask me about the any of the homework/end of week problems you're struggling with.  His are pretty good in my opinion.  Cram for PE is a good practice exam to take.  I know there are 4 out there but I only have the first one.

Thank you MetoEE for your kind words about the Cram book. My other two sample test have completely original questions from the first. No repeats! If you could be so kind to leave a review on Amazon so other engineers get the proper feedback. I offer money back for those that leave reviews. See www.cramforthepe.com for details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the Cram practice test #1 today with timed. Got 60/80. 😑

would like ask some questions in some of my mistakes. ☹️

Edited by BebeshKing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BebeshKing said:

Took the Cram practice test #1 today with timed. Got 60/80. 😑

would like ask some questions in some of my mistakes. ☹️

60/80 is very good. You can send me an email via

http://cramforthepe.com/index.php/contact/://cramforthepe.com/index.php/contact/

 

I would be happy to answer all your questions. I have two other sample exams that have very different questions from exam 1.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the first half of @Zach Stone, P.E. practice exam today and ran out of time. The code problems are tricky! I need to work on code, capacitors, and getting more familiar with transmission line problems.

Id love to read some more about problem #11 if you have a suggested reference, the whole concept is fascinating!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2020 at 6:48 PM, speakeelsy said:

Took the first half of @Zach Stone, P.E. practice exam today and ran out of time. The code problems are tricky! I need to work on code, capacitors, and getting more familiar with transmission line problems.

Id love to read some more about problem #11 if you have a suggested reference, the whole concept is fascinating!

Hi @speakeelsy, Glad you enjoyed the problem.

Just about any good protection book should touch on transformer inrush and the effects it can have on protection considerations. Blackburn's Protective Relaying Principles and Applications does a good job discussing it in Chapter 9 if you have the book. You can find a link to the book among others that we recommend for the PE exam on our list of Recommended References for the Electrical Power PE Exam.

If anyone else is curious, here is the problem from the Electrical Engineering PE Practice Exam and Technical Study Guide by Electrical PE Review:

 

1801385355_ElectricalEngineeringPEPracticeExamandTechnicalStudyGuidebyElectricalPEReviewINC(EarlyAccessEdition-Version1.0.7).thumb.png.b6a6a29b4e7722bf14a392f33739370f.png

 

101836877_ElectricalEngineeringPEPracticeExamandTechnicalStudyGuidebyElectricalPEReviewINC(EarlyAccessEdition-Version1.0.7)(1).thumb.png.2caca9f6193d422e0b9f66db20243616.png

 

Don't forget you can click each image to make it larger.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming up on 6 weeks until the exam?

What do y'alls "milk crates" look like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chattaneer PE said:

Coming up on 6 weeks until the exam?

What do y'alls "milk crates" look like?

My references are not in the milk crate yet. I might going to get a storage bin rather than a milk crate because of these big loads I have right now.😂😂😂

 

 

D5DFC251-82E9-4B59-91B8-EB1C62AC4798.jpeg

Edited by BebeshKing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will have between 20-25 books (at least) counting my 5-6 "code binders". I will be bringing our "extra large rolling suite case". No way a milk crate is carrying all I'm bringing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BebeshKing said:

My references are not in the milk crate yet. I might going to get a storage bin rather than a milk crate because of these big loads I have right now.😂😂😂

 

 

Those are some big binders. What do you have in them?

Do you have the NFPA 497, 499, and 30B in that stack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, SparkyBill said:

I will have between 20-25 books (at least) counting my 5-6 "code binders". I will be bringing our "extra large rolling suite case". No way a milk crate is carrying all I'm bringing. 

Got a picture?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chattaneer PE said:

Those are some big binders. What do you have in them?

Do you have the NFPA 497, 499, and 30B in that stack?

Those big binders are my practice worked problems and references from different resources. :)  

Yes. all those codes you mentioned are in a separate binder(located on the top left) together with my NESC 2017 . :) 

Edited by BebeshKing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BebeshKing said:

Those big binders are my practice worked problems and references from different resources. :)  

Yes. all those codes you mentioned are in a separate binder(located on the top left) together with my NESC 2017 . :) 

Heck yeah! Look at those elegantly organized D-rings. You are gonna kill it!

Seriously though, that is SO MANY problems! So much repetition and studying just tucked in every corner of your brain. So good!

Good luck 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, ItsStudyTime! said:

Heck yeah! Look at those elegantly organized D-rings. You are gonna kill it!

Seriously though, that is SO MANY problems! So much repetition and studying just tucked in every corner of your brain. So good!

Good luck 😃

@ItsStudyTime! ,those setup were inspired by you, though.😂 . Followed your study setup and the index style. The problems are not really repetitive. There  just too many articles and subtopics I added in there just to make sure to kill each of the problems on the PE exam. 😊

 

Edited by BebeshKing
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I think I asked this before but I didn't get any replies. Are there any study groups out there who maybe meet up over skype/discord? I study way better in a group with other people.

Thanks

 

19 hours ago, BebeshKing said:

My references are not in the milk crate yet. I might going to get a storage bin rather than a milk crate because of these big loads I have right now.😂😂😂

 

 

D5DFC251-82E9-4B59-91B8-EB1C62AC4798.jpeg

That looks really good. I kind of feel like I should be doing that considering that all of my worked problems are in sets of spiral bound notebooks. Do you use tabs on any of them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...