NYS License Watch

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDeebs PE

Reaction score
I've seen similar threads started for this in previous administrations. NY has been issuing new license numbers all morning according to the Office of Professions website. I can't seem to figure out a pattern though (not alphabetic, not all New York addresses). Maybe (hopefully) they're starting to issue licenses a lot quicker than the 5-8 weeks they say. Any other New Yorkers anxiously checking the site for their license number?

O hai, I was called.

Hey @MDeebs, so NYS is...kinda weird when it issues license numbers.  When I received my 'Pass' from NCEES in October 2018, I didn't have my license number issued until March 2019 and they were still updating a few a day from the October 2018 exam.  It seems like there are usually at least two people uploading license numbers, but this includes new licenses and reciprocity licenses at the same time.  They usually upload by last name...but, it depends on how many people are uploading.  When I was watching, there were uploads starting at A, P, and W last-names. When they first started uploading, it was around maybe 20-30 mixed names, but then the holidays severely slowed them down...lagging to maybe 1 or 2 names a day and then skipping weeks.  This might have also had to do with the PG licensing being put into affect that year and those applications slowing down the process even more.

I actually had to email NYSED to ask about my status before it was updated on the site, which was...great, but NYS licensing is really difficult in general (not just for engineering, but teaching, architect, etc.).  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Remember not to put PE after your name until you are posted on the NYSED website, since you are not 'technically' a NYS engineer until you have a license number/can be verified!  NYS is ULTRA strict about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen similar threads started for this in previous administrations. NY has been issuing new license numbers all morning according to the Office of Professions website. I can't seem to figure out a pattern though (not alphabetic, not all New York addresses). Maybe (hopefully) they're starting to issue licenses a lot quicker than the 5-8 weeks they say. Any other New Yorkers anxiously checking the site for their license number?
Checking but not as anxiously as I did for my results lol

O hai, I was called.

Hey @MDeebs, so NYS is...kinda weird when it issues license numbers.  When I received my 'Pass' from NCEES in October 2018, I didn't have my license number issued until March 2019 and they were still updating a few a day from the October 2018 exam.  It seems like there are usually at least two people uploading license numbers, but this includes new licenses and reciprocity licenses at the same time.  They usually upload by last name...but, it depends on how many people are uploading.  When I was watching, there were uploads starting at A, P, and W last-names. When they first started uploading, it was around maybe 20-30 mixed names, but then the holidays severely slowed them down...lagging to maybe 1 or 2 names a day and then skipping weeks.  This might have also had to do with the PG licensing being put into affect that year and those applications slowing down the process even more.

I actually had to email NYSED to ask about my status before it was updated on the site, which was...great, but NYS licensing is really difficult in general (not just for engineering, but teaching, architect, etc.).  Let me know if you have any other questions.  Remember not to put PE after your name until you are posted on the NYSED website, since you are not 'technically' a NYS engineer until you have a license number/can be verified!  NYS is ULTRA strict about this.
Thanks!

They are already issuing license numbers? I thought atleast 5-8 weeks?

Can someone smarter than I tell me how to check if/when mine will be issued?

thanks in advance!

So I counted a total of 52 license numbers issued yesterday.  

Anyone know now how many people passed?  Guessing this will go on well into January. 

got my NYS license number issued on 12/27. Does anyone know how long until they mail the actual physical license?

got my NYS license number issued on 12/27. Does anyone know how long until they mail the actual physical license?
I remember reading somewhere that the license is placed in the mail the day after your license is uploaded on the website. My license was issued on the website on 12/30 and I received the physical license in the mail yesterday 1/2.

@JayKay PE I know I am bringing back an old thread, but same question for 2020.  How do you have visibility to the new license being granted?  Also do you have any info on licenses for 2020 in the state of New York?

Thanks for bringing this up. I too am waiting on a license number. I got my results 12/16 (1 day after the pen & paper results were released).

Back