AE PE study materials question

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill6

Reaction score
Has anyone bought any of Jeff Setzer's study materials from engineeringdesignresources.com for the AE exam? There seems to be no other material out there except for this. Some of his books on Amazon have gotten mediocre reviews due to incorrect answers so I dont want to spend a bunch of money if they are worthless. Any comments on this or any other study materials for the AE PE exam would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry to be replying but not helping. I hope someone can get you answers.

My question: What is architectural engineering and how is it different from civil? Is it a hybrid of civil engineering and architecture? I've never heard of this before.

@Bill6, I took the Civil: Geotechnical exam, so my commentary can only help you so much. There were a few references and practice exams that I used, which had mediocre reviews on Amazon. For the most part, they were pretty good, as long as you knew or could figure out what the errors/ambiguities are. Though, I had quite a bit of reference material, so it might make more difference for you on the architectural exam.

@jean15paul_PE, my impression of it is that it's a little bit of everything you need to functionally design buildings: a little bit of structural, a little bit of mechanical/HVAC, a little bit of electrical, etc.

Jean15Paul, Architectural Engineering is basically structural, mechanical, and electrical engineering related solely to buildings. In my AE program, everyone learns the basics of all three, then for your last two years you focus on one area. For me it was electrical so that whats I do, design electrical power and lighting systems for buildings. Friends I graduated with design HVAC or plumbing systems for buildings. A lot of graduates design the structural frames and members of buildings.

@Bill6 I used Jeff's material for the April 2018 exam and passed on the first try. The key is to come very familiar with all of the code books and reference material and do a ton of practice problems 

Jean15Paul, Architectural Engineering is basically structural, mechanical, and electrical engineering related solely to buildings. In my AE program, everyone learns the basics of all three, then for your last two years you focus on one area. For me it was electrical so that whats I do, design electrical power and lighting systems for buildings. Friends I graduated with design HVAC or plumbing systems for buildings. A lot of graduates design the structural frames and members of buildings.
Do you know what the general requirements are for experience? Currently I'm working as a structural engineer with two years experience, I'm wondering if it makes more sense to switch to HVAC design or plumbing to get experience in other areas or if I can take the exam after getting four years of experience in structural design?

Back