NEC Handbook options poll! Come post your experienced feedback!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Experienced test takers please chime in!

• NEC Codebook is all that should be needed

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • NEC Handbook is all that should be needed

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • NEC Handbook with Mike Holts tabs is all that should be needed.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • NEC Handbook with Tom Henry's tabs and Index book is needed

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
NEC Handbook options poll! Come post your experienced feedback!
I took the handbook with NEC tabs.  I also added some personal tabs as I would study and come across topics I was not familiar with.  I would definitely take the handbook though.  There are some great examples in the handbook that you won’t get in the code book.  Good luck!

Hello my friend. I hope all is well - I like that you are being proactive in seeking information to best prepare for the exam. This kind of energy is needed to attain favorable results.

I started studying with the code book for about a month and then decided to purchase the handbook. In my opinion and because I had not dealt with NEC, I found the handbook a better resource as it contains illustrations and detailed examples.

I hope this helps and should you have any further questions feel free to ask. I have taken/passed on first attempts both FE & PE this year. For me, consistent active studying/understanding and taking different 8-hr timed practice exams was the key.

I would sign up for Zach Stones’ class - his material is very concise, easy to follow/understand and I believe the best course to prepare you for the P.E.

Personally I used the code book and got the NEC tabs then added some of mine own. I had access to the codebook for free thru work.

Some of the NEC tabs arent as useful for the PE but I still used them to get close to the section I needed when I opened the book.

Hello my friend. I hope all is well - I like that you are being proactive in seeking information to best prepare for the exam. This kind of energy is needed to attain favorable results.

I started studying with the code book for about a month and then decided to purchase the handbook. In my opinion and because I had not dealt with NEC, I found the handbook a better resource as it contains illustrations and detailed examples.

I hope this helps and should you have any further questions feel free to ask. I have taken/passed on first attempts both FE & PE this year. For me, consistent active studying/understanding and taking different 8-hr timed practice exams was the key.

I would sign up for Zach Stones’ class - his material is very concise, easy to follow/understand and I believe the best course to prepare you for the P.E.
How nice of you to write such a long helpful response with your experience. So far it looks like I'm on the exact same route you laid out. I have already signed up for Zach's class, and I'm about 70% through his website. After completing it and having all of his AMAZING information in my binder, I plan on start taking a lot of practice test. I have a lot of practice test ready to be worked. I passed the FE this past September and I am busting tail trying to pass this PE the first time. I have made myself a study plan, and if I can stick to it, I will have a little over 400 hours of PE time before taking it the first time. 

Back